Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Flat Tops Wilderness Area, Colorado >

Flat Tops Wilderness Area, Colorado

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Flat Tops Wilderness Area, Colorado

Old 03-01-2004, 07:20 PM

Default Flat Tops Wilderness Area, Colorado

My dad and I are planning to hunt the Flat Tops Area this fall. My dad has been on many do-it-yourself hunts, this is my first trip. The Falt Tops is a pretty big area. I thought someone in here could help me with a few questions I have.
Can anyone help me find a few named areas of interest that we should concentrate our efforts on to find elk (mountains, ridge names, etc)? Where are the better areas to access the flat tops (away from the crowd) located?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 03-09-2004, 06:29 PM

Default RE: Flat Tops Wilderness Area, Colorado

The best source of info for your hunt can be obtained by going on-line to the Colorado Division of Wildlife @ http://wildlife.state.co.us/hunt/. Good Luck!
Old 03-09-2004, 07:51 PM

go to http://wildlife.state.co.us/hunt/
Old 04-06-2004, 01:54 PM

Be ready to move your can in a hurry. More than once people have drove up the in nice weather to find out a few days later than a big storm can in and now they can get out. Never take a motor home in. Take a 4x4 and a set of tire chains to get you back out. The weather can change in just a few second or hours. Prepare for the worst just in case. You can get turned around up there so GPS, map and compass your location.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:56 PM

The only way to get away from the hords of hunters in the flat tops is to pack into the wilderness area. Outside of the wilderness area the tops are pretty accessable, there is a lot of logging roads and jeep trails. Inside the WA the only allowed methods of travel is on foot or horse back and the hunting can be tuff, but trophy Elk are tuff anywhere you go.
Go on line and look at the topo's and get a Gazetter (I think thats what it is called) it is a book with all of the topos of the whole state and shows a lot of roads and trails. When you think you have found a good area order up a map with more detail for a closer look.