Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Broken Noses

Old 02-20-2004, 01:38 PM
Spike

Default Broken Noses

I was just wondering about this. How many people have ever broken their nose from scope recoil? While I was hunting a few years ago, I had a deer come in behind me where I wasn't able to stand up and turn or it would have been all over. (I was in a treestand.) I hunt in very thick cover, and they can run in on you in a hurry. Well,,,,,,, I tried to bend around and take the shot. I pulled the trigger, the deer dropped along with my glasses. The recoil had split my glasses at the nose piece. I had a doe tag, so I taped my glasses back together and stayed in my stand until night fall. Well,,,,,, when I got home, and everyone was talking about my nose being broke. I didn't realize it was that bad. It literally moved my entire nose over about half an inch. To this day I can still only breath out of one side. In case you were wondering, I was using a Rem 760 .308 caliber. Just wondering if anyone else had the same type of experience.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Broken Noses

I've been smacked by a few and have seen a few black eyes. I had a girlfriend once who broke her glasses and drew a little blood but I've never seen anyone break thier nose before. Ouch!!
Old 02-21-2004, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

while I've never been hit by a scope I tend to choke up on my hold on the stock which brings my nose right up to my thumb. I like straight stocks. Stocks with pistol grip will drive my thumb right into my nose. I have two guns I have to lay my thumb straight out one is my sawed of 870 and the other is my lyman muzzleloader. If I forget to do that I'll bloody my nose everytime.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:19 PM

the day my sisters got wed i got my frist deer and had the scope hit over my eye and in all the pic you can see the cut, o the good old days
Old 02-29-2004, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

I use to say how could anyone hit their nose or eye for that matter..well 2 years ago my ear plugs did not seem to be working just right so I put on muffs.. I inched up to the scope because the muffs keep me from "cheeking" the stock and next thing you know the scope hit my brow..no blood but felt like it would have been laid wide open..more embarrased than anything...No muffs for me anymore
Old 02-29-2004, 05:10 PM

I can remember only one good fight with a scope, left a real nice cut under my eye, I also had my nose broke twice, but that was from brotherly love...
Old 02-29-2004, 06:41 PM

I too have had a few fights with scopes, but never broke my nose. Man, I would be sooo pissed....
Old 03-03-2004, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

had my eyebrow cut at least 3 times chocking up on my 7mm. My own stupidity but I kept shooting anyway, blood running in my eye and quite the site. Sucks. Embarrasing. But it happens, especially with the bigger rifles. Hurts too.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:35 PM

Never a broken nose, but I had my shooting glasses imprinted on my face once,
hurt like you know what.[:@]
Old 03-03-2004, 02:52 PM

I have never seen any broken noses but i have seen scope bite on eyes before. On one occassion my friend and i had split up wlaking around our land and we were about 1 mile apart when i heard a shot. I walked back to the truck and went to pick him up. When i got to him he was bledding from his eyebrow pretty good. I kind of chuckled and asked him what did the other guy look like. But he had a pretty nice buck on the ground so that eased his pain. Another time i took a different friend out hunting and he was tryin to fill his doe tag. We set up in an old barn and soon enough 8 does and fawns were walking right towards us. I told him to wait until i told him to shoot because i wanted them good and close. Well at 150 yards he shoots on his own and his glasses go flying. I was watchin the deer in my bino's and he quickly asked me did i gettem i can't see anything. The scope smashed up his glasses a bit but we got a nice doe and some laughs out of that experience.

Quick Reply: Broken Noses

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.