Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Charged? The story's

Old 02-15-2004, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default Charged? The story's

Reading Blains post makes me want to hear some close encounters with animals before or after being shot.

Anbody have any close calls? Anything from a bear to a wild man eating chipmunk. lol
Old 02-15-2004, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Charged? The story's

I was "charged" by a chickadee last deer season back in Wisconsin. Standing on a logging road while my buddies were pushing a swamp and I turned my head and there was a chickadee flying right at my face, about 4 feet away and closing. I think it thought I was a tree or something and was going to land on me. Doesn't sound like much, but it scared the crap out of me for the split second that I thought something was going to hit me in the face.

Sure, a pissed off momma bear trying to protect her cubs might sound scarey, but have you ever had a chickadee fly at you like a patriot missle?
Old 02-15-2004, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had encounters with black bears and had a cow moose charge me when I didn't realize I was between her and her calf but I'll tell you a story of a good friend of mine had last year that even made front page news here and the story goes just like this, Chris and another campanion went in persuit of deer and elk along the Canadian border here, somehow the two had split up and as Chris was slipping through the bush he had kicked up what he thought was a moose from its bed, he realized real quik that it was a sow grizz that had a cub. The griz made a false charge at Chris and then went back and took the cub off 20 yrds to safety and the bear then came back at full charge towards Chris, as the bear approached Chris in a lightning fast manner, Chris had fallen back with the bear just about on top of him, he pointed the 7mm mag and shot killing the bear immediately. Law enforcement personel were dispatched to the scene and the bear had powder burns on it and was ruled as a justifiable killing. It happened so lightning fast, you have no chance to react. Sad part about it is that Chris was an excellent woodsman and now he won't even venture in the bush anymore, it scarred him emotionally real bad. An ole native indian told Chris during a ceremoney that Chris is marked and that the cub will not rest until it settles the score.
When I'm in the bush I pack a pistol and pepper spray, but I really don't know why, because some of the encounters I've had, I'm ashamed to say it but I have just frozen up and could not move. Bobby
Old 02-15-2004, 11:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well not a wild animal but I have been charged by a couple of Bulls. One a Brown Swiss and the other a Black Angus. When the swiss came after me I dived into a hay Manger and he did his best to come through it to get me. When the Angus charged be the only thing I had was an empty five gallon bucket. I threw it down toward his front feet and he steped in it and nearly fell down. It scared the hell out of him. I cleared about a five and a half foot fence that I know I couldn't ever jump under normal conditions. Another time I was trying to help a new born calf out of a water hole where the cow dropped him. Just as I got him out the cow knocked me back into the creek.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:03 PM

JamesB,

Right you are. If you've been involved with handling bovines for any amount of time you WILL have heart stopper moments that involve a "charge". Sometimes you can predict the behavior by the animals actions and other times it's like someone "flipped a switch." Funny how their charges usually fall under the "no good deed goes unpunished" category. So called domestic buffalo are even worse, when they get cranky in their older age they will actually "stalk" you, if you are out in the open and away from your vehicle.

Hardly on par with a grizzly charge, but nonetheless potentially lethal, and it can't help but harden one's steel a bit.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:57 PM

I saw a squirrel climbing a tree. I decided to shake the tree and see if I could get it down. I did and he came falling down. He used his tail as a parachute. He almost caught on my shirt, and I ran. LOL He was 6 inches from me!!!
Old 02-15-2004, 02:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Elk Kamp. Yea I don't know the number but every year farmers and ranchers are killed buy livestock. I think Dairy Bulls are about the most dangerous because they are up close around the place more than range bulls. I learned early never to turn your back on a Bull. The usually gentle ones will get you. Like you said something clicks and they can behave in a bad way. Nothing like a 1800 lb Brown swiss bull thats lost his sense of humor.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I remember once while camping I had on a black hat. As it got dark, a bat came from under the picnic table and landed on my head. That was a little freaky, but not too bad. And one time I had a great horned owl buzz me at night while I was walking on a two track road near a river.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

C_O,

I've hunted wild hogs all my life and have had several charges from them. Two that stand out vividly. I was siting on my atv at one of our feeders watching the wild hogs come to it as it went off throwing out corn, this large boar, around 200 to 250 lbs ran at and hit my atv and then just turned and ran off.

Another time while watching the hogs at another feeder, there was probably 20 or 30, counting mature hogs and small pigs, feeding and all of sudden a large boar came charging out of the palmettos and hit a smaller boar broadside and sent him rolling. The small boar and other hogs scattered. I was standing beside my atv with 30-06 on the gun rack. The boar turned and ran at me, I threw up my hands and went to yelling, he turned and ran off about 25 yards. He turned and charged again and I went into my tough guy act the second time and again he turned and ran off. I might add that both times he stoped about 25 yards from me. After the 2nd charge I was talking to myself and him and thinking, Ole boy, that's twice, next time I'm going to put a stop to this and got my rifle. He charged again and I shot him between the eyes from about 10 yds. I believe this boar would have hurt someone sooner or later because he wasn't scared of a human.

I've hunted them with dogs, rifle, pistol, and bow and I can assure you that if you hunt them enough, sooner or later one will put you up a tree. Most of our hunting here is done close.

I know some of you probably don't believe that you can sit on an atv and watch them feed within 10 or 20 yards but we used to tend our feeders so often that they actually got used to us. We could take a bucket and get corn out of our storage barrels and shake the bucket and have hogs come running from all directions. Ever now and then we would have a bad one come in, just have to be careful.

dog1
Old 02-16-2004, 07:19 AM

While hunting elk in some of Western Washington's brushyest country I ran into two guy's coming out of the woods one morning. They were walking out of this old brushy,grown over, grade. One of them was carying his broken in half gun in one hand and a single bloody 2 point elk horn in the other. I asked them what happened and they seemed pretty shook up. Apparently they had gone down this grade well before light with a small flashlight to guide them. I don't know what they're plan was, the grade dose'nt come out anywhere they could see at first light anyway, but it must have seemed like a good idea at the time. While walking down the trail they were charged from out of the darkness by an elk, the one guy said he had just enough time to swing his rifle like a club as the elk hit. The impact knocked the horn off the bull at its base and sent hunters flashlight and both pieces of gun flying in different directions. The elk went down and tumbled, then all three got up and went fleeing through the darkness in a full blown linear panic. When it got light the two hunters found each other and worked up the courage to go back for the gun and horn. After that they decided to call it a day, which is where I ran into them, nearly back to they're truck. We never saw those two again.

Quick Reply: Charged? The story's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.