Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Grizzly bear challenge, 100 yard full charge >

Grizzly bear challenge, 100 yard full charge

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Grizzly bear challenge, 100 yard full charge

Old 02-17-2004, 06:48 PM

Default RE: Grizzly bear challenge, 100 yard full charge

In 2001 I was grizz hunting in the Talkeetna Mountains of Alsaka. I shot a grizzly (650lbs) at 30 yards, on a dead run at me. I had a .338 ultramag with 250gr A-frames. We watched the bear from about 500 tards chase a herd of 8 caribou back & forth through a meadow. After 4 chases, the grizz gave up & started moving uphill. We took off & got about 300 yards away when my guide blew a predator call. The bear saw us but the wind was in our face. It came running for "chow time". THe bullet went "stem to stern" & stoped the griz. I also own a 300WSM that shoots 180gr loads at about 3000fps. I was very comfortable with my 338, but would not want anything lighter for that close. By the way, forget about recoil. You just don't feel it when you are pumped will adeneline. Shooting at the bench is a different story.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

I like the 357 story best it reminds me of another story I heard many years ago>
Some guy was out hunting but not for bear... ran into a grizz worked his lever action "like never before" he said. Bear came right at him but veered off the last minute so he was sure he had a couple of "good hits". So he and 2 other buddies went out looking for this bear. He took them were it all began. Thats were it ended too, They found all five of his 30-30 shells on the ground - never fired!
Old 02-18-2004, 10:18 AM

Going hunting in the grizzly woods with a 30-30. That is what I call NOT going loaded for bear!

Given that the grizzly broke off its charge, it is indeed fortunate that the rounds were NOT fired! Let's see, tube magazine, 30 cal barrel, AND the hooded buckhorn sight system --- ouch, ouch, ouch --- way worse than a 357!

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 02-18-2004, 12:22 PM
DM

I've hunted and shot both black and brown bears, and after 25 years of hunting in the Alaskan bush, i was only charged one time. It was a big brown, and it charged from about 80 yards down hill at me. I followed the bear with my rifle with the intention of NOT takeing the shot untill the bear was at least under 25 yards from me. At about 30 yards the bear broke off the charge and slowly moved off.

I'm not much into the "spray and pray" theory!!! I intended to make the first and only shot count!!!

I'd have no problem killing that bear with anything from a 30-06/7mm mag on up, AS LONG as i had good quality heavy bullets loaded in it.

I'm a big Nosler Partion fan, and that's what i had in my rifle the day the bear charged me.

Drilling Man
Old 02-18-2004, 08:20 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

My M1A. Believe me, I could get all 20 rounds off before he arrived. If I keep holding the front bead on his head, one of those 168 grain pills would find its mark.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:55 PM
DM

I'll add some more here to my above bear post.

I had a friend with me that day and he was carrying a double rifle, he also had a bear tag. I spotted the bear in an opening on a hill side and it was sitting like a dog faceing us. I told the guy to shoot the bear square in the chest!! My friend just kept stareing at the bear shakeing his head "NO" back and forth!!

About then the bear raised it's nose in the air, and i knew our cover was blown! I moved for a better shot just as the bear let out one HE** of a growl, and started popping it's jaws!!!! I remember feeling the hair on the back of my neck raiseing, at least that's what it felt like.

The bear came chargeing at us, and i was by far more worried about my friend shooting me in the back than i was about the bear!!! Once the bear moved off, i noticed my friend "frozen stiff" with the bbls of his rifle still pointing straight up into the air!! I was so relieved that he wasn't pointing them at me!!!

About then my friend told me, and i quote: "I was so scared, and my A** was puckered up so tight you couldn't have pounded a pin up it with a sledge hammer!!!"

A week or so later when we flew out of the bush, i heard him say the same quote to his other friends, and by then it was all pretty funny!! hee he heee

Drilling Man
Old 02-20-2004, 04:38 PM

mate,i would use my jw 15 .22 with power points. at 50 yds it can spin a 5 cent piece. one slug in each eye to the brain.[:-]
Old 02-21-2004, 02:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

MY 338 WIN MAG WITH 250 GR TBBC

Brian
Old 02-21-2004, 06:08 AM
Typical Buck

I have to go with the 12ga fans nothing meaner at short range and a lot less unforgiving. __________________________________________________ ______________________ Enjoy the hunt it only takes a half a second to kill.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:41 PM

I would have to use my A Bolt in 375 H&H, after all, that would be why I bought one right?

KC

Quick Reply: Grizzly bear challenge, 100 yard full charge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.