Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

High fenced trophies?

Old 01-29-2004, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

Default High fenced trophies?

Do you think high fenced tropies should be allowed in record books, I know some won't allow it but some do?
If you do think so how much acreage would be consider ethical for fair chase, feeders, or canned trophies?

I say you could buy your trophie maybe one that would go world record class. Just by raising the animals like cattle in pens pumped full minerals and genentic selection. I would vote unsportsman like on this one. Besides it's turning hunting into farming, and causing open to public ranches to turn to the money game. Many hunters I know will not support high fenced hunting and wouldn't mind seeing it banned, but that gives the peta people a foothold on hunting rights across the board.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: High fenced trophies?

First, I don't think that any animals that are shot in an enclosure should be allowed in the record books. I don't care about people hunting or whatever some of you want to call it behind fences.

I think that the size of an enclosure being "sporting" would depend on what type of terrain that your dealing with. Places that I hunt here in Colorado, you would need a pretty big swath of land, thousands of acres, my property back in Wisconsin is 80 acres and if you fenced that all in you could still go weeks without seeing a deer on it (35 acres is inaccessable swamp).

I get the whole arguement about enclosures turning american hunting into what they have in Europe, and it makes me sick, but I will never stand by and let someone tell a landowner what they can do with there land (within reason of course)
Old 01-29-2004, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

no way, they do not belong in a record book! yes, it may take a bit to find them on fenced in property, but it is just a number's game behind fences, how much can you afford for an animal. heck, my bosses have been going to texas and shooting deer in fences, spending $5000+ 2 years in a row, before mounting. they have brought back some nice deer, but i am more proud of the seven point that had put a lot of hours into and impressed by it, than their deer with 24" spread racks. but, that isn't to say that perhaps their own book shouldn't be started, considering how many fenced in areas there are now.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:14 AM
Dominant Buck

No more a trophy than a store bought mount.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:30 AM

I've got an opinion on this ....

I think any place, no matter how large the acreage where you can "buy" an animal is not hunting. Many of these places have price lists where the cost is in relation to the size of the animal .. and while it may be for some people .. the mere thought turns my stomach. I personallly have a serious issue with outfits that hunt on private ranches, even without high fences that charge by the animal's size ... because in my mind it is one thing to pay for the opportunity to hunt and do everything in your power to take a large animal, and a very ugly alternative to turn around and charge additionaly what your skill or luck has allowed you to take. In my mind that eqautes to paying for the animal you killed .. and in my mind that is not true hunting. I believe there is a world of difference between paying for the opportunity to hunt and paying for a specific animal.

That being said, now.. "Record Books". Record Books are kept by dozens of different organizations and anyone who cares to collect, verify and then publish those results both on-line or in print can, in my opinion, make any rules they care to have concerning animals they include. If all the high fenced guys want to have a record book (and they have several) where they can submit their names and total inches to show their friends and feel like true hunters, so be it. The regard I hold for those people doesn't change 1 bit because their names appear in a book .. and frankly I'm 100% positive they don't care what I think about them or their purchased mounts.

I can say that I have never once looked at an animal and thought, "HOLY CRAP .. that buck will get me into the top 1/2 of (insert Book title of choice)"
and I like to think the guys I hunt with don't give a heck less either. I have been guilty during the long cold days and nights of winter of "measuring" an animal to get an idea of where he would compare with all the animals we hear about on a site like this .. but hey .. I'm human!
Old 01-29-2004, 11:38 AM

no way they should be allowed in the books.....no challenge in that and its not even hunting. I would compare it to just goin out to the pasture and slaughtering a beef. Not to difficult to shoot a record book elk inside a 7ft page wire fence. The books are meant for hunters not guys with too much money that don't know how to hunt. Hunt hard or go home.......
Old 01-29-2004, 11:55 AM
Typical Buck

I would go one further. I would not allow any trophy if the animal was taken from leased land! I think paying for hunting rights on a property fenced or not is wrong, and has led us to where we are now. Trophys for who ever has the most money. You hear a lot of talk about QDM where the deer herds are thriving . QDM is all about big $ not big bucks. IMHO.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Threads like this make me realize why our hunting heritage will be lost one day. Not from bunny huggers or peta freaks, but by our own hand
Old 01-29-2004, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do not think High fence animals should be in the record books. If someone wants to buy a monster trophy? They can buy a re-production of horns like the Milo Hanson buck and have there own mount made.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:30 PM

High fenced trophy's belong in there own book, my take. Is there a difference's between public land, private land, private land posted, leased land and high fence hunting land. I think so, you ? Should they all have there own record books ?
I think game farms and high fenced hunting have a place, in hunting.
If you got to have a trophy, have the money, then go buy one. It's not
my place to say No You shouldn't do that ! In Vermont, a Elk farm, wanted to offer limited hunts on trophy bull's. A bunch of people went nuts and last I knew that farm couldn't offer hunts. Guess what ? Those still Elk died, shot in head, in a stall at a slaughter house or had there throats cut wide open. I think it would of been nice if the Elk could of died in a hunting setting, and made someone very happy, and the animal was remembered.

Quick Reply: High fenced trophies?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.