Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Is .243 enough for aussie big boars?? >

Is .243 enough for aussie big boars??

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Is .243 enough for aussie big boars??

Old 01-18-2004, 04:30 AM

Default Is .243 enough for aussie big boars??

Greetings my internet hunting people. I am an AUSTRALIAN and I hunt boars(male pigs not bear).Now its been a while since i seen one let alone got one(60 k.g and 35k.g easter 2003). MY question is - can i shoot a 80++ kilogram boar at close (14 to 25 paces) range safely with a .243 with remington 100 grain core lokt projectile?? I got a large boar 80++ kilograms(7.5 centimetre tusk protusion out of jaw) at 14 paces with a 30-30 and it took 2 shots to keep him down.I just dont want to be in a worse situation than that with an inferior calibre. should i trade in?
Old 01-18-2004, 02:50 PM

Default RE: Is .243 enough for aussie big boars??

I don't know much about hogs. sorry. It does sound to me that you would be taking an unneccesary risk.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:13 PM

I'm gonna say if you used the "ULTRA Core Locts, with the bonded core, you'd be just fine on boars. In my experience, the 243 has similar stopping power at very close ranges as the 30-30, and at longer ranges it is considerably superior. Stick with a bonded core bullet such as Remington Ultras or Swift Sciroccos or Noser Accubonds or Hornady Interbonds and you should get the penetration you need.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

Mr. Boarman,

The 243 will definitely drop a boar of any size if you place the bullet in the right place. A lot of people won't believe this, but I grew up hunting wild hogs, before we had a deer season (1969 was our first deer season in the county where I grew up), we only had 22 rifles. Needless to say we was close, and the shot was behind the ear. I've killed them with 22 long rifles, 38/357's, 30-30, 30-06, and 243's. The worst shot is on the shoulder where they have what is called a shield. This sheild is devoloped when they take their tusk and cut a tree that produces sap (such as a pine tree), they will rub their shoulders in the sap, then they will roll and waller in mud, the mud gets in the sap and so on, helping creat a sheild. A callus will grow here as part of the shield.

My father hunted them with a 38 pistol or a 16 ga shotgun with 00 buckshot. He never owned a deer rifle of any type. Wild hog hunting is a big deal where I live and I have been on hunts with dogs when we would catch the hog. While the dogs have the hog busy we would slip in and catch him by the back legs and snatch the hogs feet out from under him. We would then tie his mouth shut and all legs. Now days the ones that hunt them and then realease them use handcuffs to secure his legs. Needless to say, we have had to climb a tree or two over the years when we lost our grip on the back legs. It's a ball , if you ever get the chance to hunt like this do it.

dog1
Old 01-18-2004, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Id consider a Marlin lever action in 45-70 gov, that will drop them with authority. You should have no problem with that caliber.