Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Montana Muley

Old 01-05-2004, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default Montana Muley

I just got my pix in the mail today from some fellow hunters that I met while in Montana. I didn't have my camera with and they were nice enough to take some pix for me and develop them. This buck is my first muley and although he wasn't the wallhanger I was looking for I was really happy with him and the whole trip. The people we met really made it all worthwhile!!

Old 01-05-2004, 07:14 PM

Default RE: Montana Muley

ironranger

To me any animal is a trophy and that is a very nice buck. Is there any story behind that brute.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:28 PM

That ain't too shabby!

anything that tastes great is a trophy!
Old 01-05-2004, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice deer and congrads on filling your tag. Have you had a chance to eat any of it ? Wonder if it has that sage taste to it but depends on what they been eaten too. Bobby
Old 01-05-2004, 10:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations!!
Old 01-06-2004, 06:14 AM
Typical Buck

Thanx guys, I usually don't smile in photos but I was pretty happy being it was the last day and I had hunted hard. We have eaten the backstraps and some chops and I was surprised that it wasn't sagey at all. Tasted great. We were in an area where the deer had access to farmland not far away so maybe that helped. It's my first muley so I don't have any experience with how they taste.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:27 AM

Congrats! Very nice Buck! I want one!
Old 01-06-2004, 11:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Great buck! I'd hang him up in a heartbeat.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:29 PM

Yeah, I'd mount it too. Way to go IronRanger!
Old 01-07-2004, 02:26 PM
Typical Buck

Elk_Freak99, Here is the story as I posted it awhile back on another post. As for mounting the deer, I'm just going with a rack only mount on a plaque. I gave the cape to the guy that helped me bag the deer as he is a taxidermist who does mostly fish but can sell it to other taxidermist for a few bucks. He caped and boned it out for me which I thought was pretty nice of him.

Story:

First time hunting Montana so it took us awhile to find an area with more deer. My brother missed a nice buck (Misjudged distance) on the last day of our hunt and then on the last hour, I caught up with a group of two bucks and some does. Laid in the sage brush, got a good rest with my elbow, and squeezed off the 7mm just over the back as he was uphill at about 250 to 300. At the shot, they disappeared over the back of the hill so I took off trotting up several hills to where they were standing. Looked over to see the last doe disappear over a distant hillside and thought I'd missed as I hadn't seen him flinch at the shot. Took a few more steps and he was laying over the hillside. He's a 3x4 and I was very pleased to have made a clean kill with one shot as he was dead when I arrived. This was half hour before dark and some people from Montana that we'd met asked me if I wanted to go and find a buck. I said yes but that my rifle was up at the truck. So I used one of their rifles and didn't even have a knife with!! So we went via boat and saw this group off the shore. I trotted up thru a series of hills to find them at the top. So I drug the buck down about quarter mile to the lake and they came back from looking for elk. They had the knives so we gutted it out, hauled it back to the truck, and had it quartered and bagged in no time. The people I met really made the trip worthwhile regardless of the outcome and I know my brother felt the same way. It was a learning experience. They had the camera too so I'm waiting on photos which they will be hopefully sending my way soon.

Quick Reply: Montana Muley

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.