Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

bowhunting for caribou

Old 12-29-2003, 11:59 AM

Default bowhunting for caribou

what does it take to bow hunt for barren ground caribou from bow setup to gear what would you guys do????
Old 12-30-2003, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bowhunting for caribou

Pretty much any whitetail set up will work on caribou. I have taken 5 with the bow over the last few years. The recent ones were killed with my bow set at 65# with 450 grain arrows using shockwave mechanical broadheads. All three of these bulls were taken with that same set up.

Depending on how much you want to spend, and how far you are willing to travel, you can get into some good caribou hunting with easy terrain. Do you plan to go guided, semi-guided or self hunt? A do it yourself hunt in Alaska might run you a couple thousand with air fare, getting meat and antlers home and all the gear you would need and either truck rentals or fly out services. Caribou aren't the most difficult animal to stalk, but they don't just let you walk up on them. They are great fun to hunt, and you might catch the bug after your first trip and have to head out every year after them.
Old 01-01-2004, 08:39 PM
Typical Buck

I'm booking w/Jack Hume Adventures for 'bou & plan on using my BW recurve (54# @ 30") & 400 gr GT arrows. Enuff for a 30 yd 'bou?

...And NO ABM, I don't have my IBEF card! Hehehe![>:]
Old 01-02-2004, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck on your hunt Vic! That set up will work just fine as long as your arrow is headed in the right spot. When are you going on the hunt?
Old 01-02-2004, 03:14 PM
Typical Buck

Contracts for three of us to book Sept 9-15 2005 should be in my mailbox any day. [8D]I can hardly wait dude, hadda dream of shootin' a monster 'bou last nite that was soooooo realistic! Dang Jerry, I'm eat up w/this hunt! Gonna be a long wait....
Old 01-02-2004, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man, that's a looooooooooooong wait! I know you've been wanting to go caribou hunting for a while now, and if you would of just picked up that IBEP cert, you would of had all the information you needed to get up here and hunt. Guess your bull headedness will keep that from happening! I can't blame you though, I've got pretty much the same feeling as you do towards these required certifications. I just did the hunter ed course in Vegas and walked out dumber than when I went in. It was unreal.

I'll have to quit asking you if you got the cert now and start asking if you went on that caribou hunt yet. [>:][>:]
Old 01-03-2004, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah, the wait will be a bear, but when I look at how long I've dreamed of going it ain't so bad. It ain't everyday a 20 yr dream starts coming to life, so another few months should go by ok. Hehehe, after midnite New Years Eve I told wifey, "Hey I'm going 'bou hunting NEXT YEAR!"

Vic (got no time for govmt overegulation) White
Old 01-05-2004, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rocky Mountain 3 Blade Razor-60# Compound-2117 easton shaft 29".

Old 01-05-2004, 03:43 PM
Typical Buck

Gorgeous bull ahunter55!! Mind sharing some more details?
Old 01-07-2004, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

We spotted some Caribou swimming a lake & my son set up on 1 point & I sat up on another point & waited to see who they would pass. I was the lucky one- A trotting shot at 15 yards dropped him in his tracks. It is in our Quebec Caribou video available for $10 delivered. My son ended up taking 2 Bulls with Rifle on our last day. I missed 2 other shots at 40 yards the same day I took this one-never got another bow shot.
My 1st trip to Quebec was a horror film-no Caribou anywhere.

Quick Reply: bowhunting for caribou

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.