Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
What broadhead should I use??? >

What broadhead should I use???

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

What broadhead should I use???

Old 02-07-2002, 02:19 PM

Default What broadhead should I use???

I am goin on my first black bear hunt in october. I am not sure what type or weight Broadhead I should use. I am currently shooting a PSE F4 bow and carbon arrows. My draw weight is 65lbs.
Thanks for the Help
Old 02-07-2002, 02:51 PM
XTP

Default RE: What broadhead should I use???

Answering that question is the archery equivalent of asking what the best deer cartridge is.Thunderhead,Muzzy,Bear,Wasp and Satellite(just to name a few),all make good heads.Most popular weight is probably 125gr,with 100 and 90gr heads right behind.Stay away from cheap or flimsy broadheads as they will only let you down.Personally,I have used several types and now have settled on the Bear Razorhead Lite.It is a 125gr(with bleeder blade installed),four blade,cut on impact style head.
Old 02-07-2002, 03:20 PM

I agree, you will get a few dozen opinions on this one.

I prefer Steel Force broadheads with bleeder blades. I hunt mainly Elk and Mulies, and also use the 125gr head. I just prefer the cut on impact style, feel I get better penetration. I have a friend that shoots only Muzzy, and he is happy. Another friend swears by the Nugent blade, which Ted hooked up with Magnus to make. It is a 2 blade style.

Anyway, there are my thoughts.

Good luck.
Old 02-07-2002, 04:33 PM

I can't say this from experience with bears, but I have used it on deer. It is a N.A.P. Thunderhead. They are superior to EVERY broadhead I have used. There pro series is even better. I would go with 115 grain.

Good Luck This Season: Buck Magnet
P.S. Only Chuck Adams can sit at home and see deer so get into the woods. =;^)
Old 02-08-2002, 06:29 PM

Muzzy 125s
Old 02-09-2002, 10:28 PM

I also use steelforce broadheads and love them.But any good sharp broadhead will do.Just make sure you get him through both lungs.And you also might hear the infamous"death moan". If you hear that,He's down for sure.Good luck on the hunt.
Old 02-10-2002, 07:44 AM

I like the 2 blade Magnus, Nugent blade for maximum pentetration. Of course, as with any animal shot placement is the most important. I have seen and heard of a fair number of bears in which the person butchering them have found old broadheads in spine and shoulder bones, and they where not the killing shots. 1/3 up the body is good, don't let the long hair fool you, it can be deceiving.
Old 02-12-2002, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

steelforce enough said

brian
Old 02-12-2002, 03:18 PM
Typical Buck

BLACK BEARS ARE THINNED SKIN. ANY GOOD QUALITY BROADHEAD WILL DO IT. MOST IMPORTANT THING IS THAT THE BROADHEAD IS SHARP AND THEY FLY GOOD AND YOU CAN LET THE AIR OUT OF BOTH LUNGS, BE CAREFUL WITH QUARTERING AWAY SHOTS . I PREFER CUT ON 125 GRAIN CUT ON IMPACT ( SATELLITE TITANS ) FOR MY RECURVE AND WOULD USE 100 GRAIN MUZZY OR SPITFIE MECHANICAL FROM MY COMPOUND IF USING CARBON ARROWS.
Old 02-13-2002, 12:18 PM

Muzzy is my choice of broadhead but I have used Thunderheads successfully as well.

Muzzy has a better, stronger design IMO with their locking blades. Thunderheads are somewhat cumbersome with the ring system they use to hold the blades in.

-Mike

Quick Reply: What broadhead should I use???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.