Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

MT Hunting Success

Old 12-13-2003, 12:35 PM

Default MT Hunting Success

Thought I would update all of you on the success that my husband had in MT. (Background... I had made a post requesting info on the caliber of gun he should have. Currently he owns a BROWNING 30-06 and was planning on using FEDERAL Nosler Partions.) Well, the 30-06 took care of business! My husband dropped a 6x6 on his second shot. (The first shot was off as he had a piece of tape on the barrel of the gun to prevent stuff from getting in the barrel.) The bull he got was running with three others; the first "shootable" bulls that he had come across. The width of the rack is around 36 inches and the beams of the antler around 40+inches. The head is at the taxidermist's and will be ready for the RMEF banquet held in April. Thought I would let all of you know. Thanks again for all the suggestions that were made. I keep teasing him that he doesn't obviously need another gun... we'll see.

Oh... and who forgot to mention the "pricelessness" of the ivories?!? We had NO clue about those things. We do now... though. What have you had done with yours? We are contemplating getting my hubby a ring and a necklace/pendant for me.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:09 PM

Default RE: MT Hunting Success

Congratulations on the success! One question though, does taping the barrel affect accuracy?
Old 12-13-2003, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

HuntinWidow
I have had ear rings made for my wife a few years back. I recommend staying away from the big jewelry stores, they seem to change the most.
I can recommend a place in Gardiner, Montana that does great work,
Off The Wall Creation is the name of the store. I am sorry I don't have a phone number for you, but you can call information for the number. (406) 555-1212.
I think earrings for you & a new gun for him are a fair trade.
Tell him congrats on the bull, glad he had a good time.
Old 12-13-2003, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alright congrads to the oleman. Can't beat that ole 30-06, got my Rem.700 cherried out to custom fit me with new type pad that makes it feel like a 22 re-coil, but those critters this year new that it wasn't a 22. Bobby
Old 12-18-2003, 08:58 AM

QUOTE: One question though, does taping the barrel affect accuracy?

I guess I would have to say yes in this case. My husband had electrical tape on the barrel of his gun [X(] as this is the only thing that was available. (It would have been his choice to use invisible tape. But alas, the gentleman he was hunting with was not prepared for that... so electrical tape, it was.) He said that he aimed in the exact same place both times that he shot. The 2nd shot was lethal so I would have to say, "Yes, the tape on the barrel must have affected his accuracy." The gun was right on the money as far as being sighted in. My husband spent at least a couple of hours sighting it in and that was just after our whitetail hunting successes. Anyway... I really believe in my husband's hunting abilities so I would have to say that with the gun being as dead-on as possible and his consistancy, something else caused a problem with the 1st shot.

I will try to get a picture uploaded for you all to see.
Old 12-18-2003, 09:00 AM

Here's a pic of the elk as it was found.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:33 AM

Nice Bull!! Tell the ole Man Congrat's.
Old 12-20-2003, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Huntnwidow, Don't ever bench your rifle with the barrel as this will effect accuracy also, but rather use the forearm of the stock, always keep the barrel free and clear. Bobby
Old 12-20-2003, 09:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well I am sorry but electrical tape on your barrel will not effect accuracy or POI, I have been doing it for years on my ML and CF with no issues. The gas blows the tape well before the bullet reaches it, no harm, dangers or poi/accuracy effects when doing so. If you do a search on the Ml or guns forum I am sure you'll find many posts on this subject and you'll find that this technique is used by alot of hunters with no effects (if you don't believe me)

I agree with Bobby always keep you muzzle clear and unobstructed, this is the main reason I tape my barrel to keep things out(such as: snow, mud, moisture, etc) The placing of tape on the outside of the barrel is not an obstruction as it is blown clear prior to the bullet reaching it! Electrical tape is elastic and the pressure of the gas balloons it outward allowing the pressure to be released and the bullet to leave the bore unobstructed...resulting in a safe discharge with no POI shifts.

Congrats to your husband on his elk and enjoy!
Old 12-20-2003, 10:38 PM

Very nice bull! I have to disagree strongly about the electric tape though. I have done this for over 20 years and have killed dozens of deer and elk with tape over the barrel on the first shot. I think your hubby suffered from a mild case of bull fever on the first shot. Which, by the way is nothing to be ashmed of, especially seeing the pic of the bull!

Quick Reply: MT Hunting Success

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.