Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 cubs: would you shoot them?? >

cubs: would you shoot them??

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

cubs: would you shoot them??

Old 11-26-2003, 07:55 PM

Default RE: cubs: would you shoot them??

Funny how things are percieved. I wouldn' t hesitate to take a calf moose or if nothing else was available, a fawn, even though I would prefer a doe for the eating. I never got into hunting horns although a nice rack, moose or deer is something to be admired. But when it comes to cubs, I' d never take one. Perhaps the difference is in the amount of meat available. Also, most hunters want size, not meat when bear hunting. As a management issue, it is the young that are the most expendible in any population so, might as well take' em rather than have' em lost through natural causes such as predation, starvation, disease or accidents.
Old 11-27-2003, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do not shoot Cubs, Fawns or Calfs.
Old 11-27-2003, 01:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sawbill excellent point last week we took 3 calf moose in our group and we were happier than a pig in poop[. I think you nailed it though we were out for the meat in a bull/calf season, while it would have been nice to shoot a bull it never happened and we were only to thrilled to be taking home some meat.

As far as bears go I hunt strictly for the fun and trophy, so no I wouldn' t shoot a cub. Before you jump on me I hardly ever pull the bow string and when I do I give the meat to a native family so it is used(also were we hunt bears pops are not a problem or source of concern). However in ABM' s situation for management reasons and better for the game in the area in general I can certainly see his point and a need to trim the bear pop. down in any way possible.
Old 11-27-2003, 05:26 PM

in many years of hunting i' ve never seen a blk bear of any size,-not in the woods any ways, on cars/trucks but not while hunting them. I wouldn' t shoot a cub, let it grow up. we have a couple of good size bears that roam around the ridges here, but to no-avail.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

No! Good luck.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

Well here we go again, a topic with answers which depends on where you live. YES I would shoot a cub, but only in the fall. Bear is the #1 predator of moose calfs in Ontario as per a study done by the then Lands and Forests, also, IMO they prey on deer fawns. Which is the way of Mother nature. In some areas in Ont. the moose herd is in decline or barely stable, reason we where told was because Ont. hunters have become too skilled at hunting calfs (has anyone here gone out gunning just for calf, LET me tell you it' s not that easy, the cow keeps the calf well hidden) so we have to reduce bull/cow tags (we must apply for a bull or cow tag and in which management unit, if not chosen you can only harvest a calf ). No mention or thought of the bear population and the amount that they kill. The spring bear hunt has been cancelled now for a number of years and the bush is overfull with bears, to the point that they are expanding thier range ( they are in the corn fields just outside of the largest city in Canada). SO IN MY AREA I WOULD SHOOT A CUB WITHIN A HEART BEAT.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

I welcome your opinion. My guess is that you do not live in bear country, my last reply has nothing to do with ones' man hood, just plain old safety for humans. We have bears in school yards, walking through the centre of towns, breaking into homes (people inside), etc.. Nuisance bear complaints have gone through the roof, so far no deaths from recent maulings but that is only a matter of time. The next time we have a bear in a residental area would you be so kind as to come here and maybe you can reason with bear as to why it should leave. Oh, almost forgot, can I watch while you do this.
Old 12-07-2003, 12:36 PM
Typical Buck

A man wihtout a conscience is no man at all.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

A man wihtout a conscience is no man at all.
You must be speaking of ppl like our former prez billy clintoon& his cronnies?

A man lead by his emotions& feelings & the social political correctness& standerds of Others - is not even his OWN man.

quote " What good are 40 freedoms without a blank spot on the map?" (A. Leopold)

With those freedoms you will be a free man& not a prisioner & you spot is the space you take up& travel with wherever you go.

Unless you have to be a ted turner , rockarfeller, cartwrights etc & a land barron. for your selfs worth& a counrty estate &garden to feel free.

You would think with all those dogs etc incinerated every yr, there would not be a hungry or cold person in the world.

unless society evolves so much they are seen as human like animals(sacred& protected , one of the family.( a peta trait, used for many species)

So freeze dry them quick& send them overseas where there will be plenty willing to eat them& use there furs , instead of starving to death

Least there goverments would let them have that maybe = unlike our billions of dollars sent to africa in the form of corn etc & burned as the starving watch held at gunpoint from the geneticly modified food that would save there lives.

(it could have serious effects in 20 yrs on say teeth devolopment?lol - starving to death is gona make that not matter anyways)

Hello we could bomb n korea with frozen dogs & take out there wacko leader& feed the ppl at the same time.

I have many lill voices talking to me are any a conscience ? no maybe? Maybe my heart is black, as im sure my lungs are.

Feed a pet/ starve 2 children in africa?, unless your just fattining it up.

man i use to hate those horse hair chairs& couches- much worse when half naked too.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:53 AM
Typical Buck

A man with a conscience don't have to make justifications for his actions or map out his behavior with reason. He knows whats right an' wrong instinctively, and behaves accordingly. There ain't no reasoning on this planet gonna make me not "feel" its wrong to pop a cub for no good reason. It don't compare one iotta with raisin' domestic game for food or controlling stray pets. Anybody that cain't see the difference needs to grow a conscience in my book, an' won't be invited to my camp til he does.

Quick Reply: cubs: would you shoot them??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.