Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

colorado elk bowhunt draw

Old 03-12-2024, 07:06 AM
Spike

Default colorado elk bowhunt draw

New to the site, but was checking in with others to see if anyone has hunted Colorado GMU 61 or 76. I'm sitting on 26pts and as a nonresident at 69 years old, I'm thinking this may be my last shot for a DIY elk bow hunt. I've bow hunted elk for over 20yrs except for the last few because over the counter tags create overcrowding in a less desirable area. I'll leave those units to the younger newbies! My login name describes my hunting so if anyone has any questions surrounding that type of hunting, I'd be happy to share the knowledge I've gained over the years. Thanks in advance....
Old 03-12-2024, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

My neighbor drew a 61 tag last fall. He is in his late 70s and had 24 or 25 points. He ended up killing a 7x6 on private property. I’m not sure what it scored, but it wasn’t huge. Probably either side of 300”.

Best of Luck!
Old 03-12-2024, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh, and he used a rifle.
Old 03-13-2024, 01:49 PM
Spike

Thank you for your response, much appreciated! Good luck this fall. I have narrowed it down to GMU 61,76 and 40. Spent hours on Google Earth overlooking GMU 40.
Old 03-13-2024, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

76 is a good unit, but is around a 12pt unit. You probably don’t want to waste your points there.
Old 03-17-2024, 12:57 PM
Spike

I hunted the Bighorns in Wyoming several times and killed my biggest bulls there...until EASTMANS decided to declare it a trophy area. Now it takes too many points for me to hunt it again. The whole wilderness restriction for nonresidents is ridiculous! It's nothing more than an outfitter sponsored law.
Old 03-18-2024, 12:41 PM
Dominant Buck

The whole points system is nothing more than a money making scam. Once points creep starts it is the beginning of the end.
Old 03-23-2024, 04:26 AM
car
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
The whole points system is nothing more than a money making scam. Once points creep starts it is the beginning of the end.
So true! I used my 19 points for Colorado elk a few years ago and have since them been hunting elk with OTC tags on private land along with deer. I'm setting on points for both deer and elk for WY right now, waiting on the herds to build back up!