Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Idaho Spring Bear

Old 03-13-2020, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default Idaho Spring Bear

Hello,

I'm planning on going out for spring bear this year. However, I've never hunted bear before. I'm looking for somebody in my area Who may be able to help me out, but not successful so far. I'm not asking for somebody on this forum to take me bear hunting.

I'm just looking for advice for a beginner at bear hunting.

Anyone got any tips for me? Any things that will help me out? I am reading the regulations currently.

Jared
Old 03-13-2020, 02:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hunting bear is different in different states. If you are going to a state you have never hunted before you would be well served to hire a guide or outfitter. It may cost more but it will be worth the cost if you do your homework and hire the right guide. Contact the Idaho fish and game and get a list of outfitters and guides.
Old 03-14-2020, 10:17 AM
Fork Horn

I'll try it. Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-14-2020, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto what OT said. You'll have a good chance of getting a bear but will also get to learn a lot about bear hunting. Enjoy the meat as it's delicious.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Definitely let us know how it goes and post pictures. What part of Idaho are you considering?
Old 03-15-2020, 04:51 AM
Fork Horn

Well, I live in Southwestern Idaho. That was the area I was thinking, but I don't know how many bears are down here.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you are an ID resident and you're wanting to hunt bear in ID it seems to me that the game dept in ID would be the first place to look. Most western game depts have harvest data that is available to the public. That helps you narrow it doen real quick as to what areas produce the most bears. Once you know that get ahold of the game biologist for those regions and begin to get detailed info. I have found the game depts and game wardens to be a wealth of info and cannot understand why more hunters don't reach out to them.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:06 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by jnicholes
Well, I live in Southwestern Idaho. That was the area I was thinking, but I don't know how many bears are down here.
I've heard the same thing about Southwestern Idaho