Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Let's talk about OTC big game tags >

Let's talk about OTC big game tags

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Let's talk about OTC big game tags

Old 10-20-2019, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

Default Let's talk about OTC big game tags

Let's talk about OTC big game tags. Recent posts on antelope, preference points, etc has me curious.

Ohio is all over the counter for deer tags. Either sex tags. But only one buck per year. Turkey is also over the county. Public land is pretty limited in Ohio and it gets hit pretty hard. Even archery season stays pretty busy on public. But it's a do-able hunt. Ohio also limits antlerless harvest on public land in the late season.

Pennsylvania is OTC buck tags. Doe tags have to be applied for and it's first come first serve. Pa also has OTC turkey and bear tags. Pa does have an elk hunt draw. I have around 8 points in that draw currently.

What States still offer OTC tags? Are there still good places out there that you can get an otc Muley or elk tag? What about doe/cow tags. That should open more options.

Using something other than a rifle should open more options too. Muzzleloader seasons and archery seasons. Is there an option for people who want to hunt every year and avoid waiting on points?

-Jake
Old 10-21-2019, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

OTC tags for critters with antlers in most places are a great way to meet other hunters. Colorado is a state that comes to mind. It is better than not hunting but you will certainly see a bunch of orange. East of the Mississippi does have OTC tags in some large National Forests with good hunting in states such as WV.

Cow elk on tags obtained through the draw is one of my favorite hunts. It is fairly easy to draw a tag in the Rocky Mountain states even in the premium units that produce great bulls. Of course fate will let you see huge bulls when all you have is a cow tag, but cows taste better anyway. Cow elk, doe deer, doe pronghorn, etc. let a fellow hunt the same country as the trophy buck/bull hunters but most fellows will not travel far to hunt them.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Alabama is OTC, 1 buck a day limit of 3 per season. Antlerless deer used to be unlimited bit I cannot find the season limit for present day, every link I found that talked about season numbers fr doe would not open.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes Colorado does have OTC elk tags in many units. There are also limited entry units that can require a lot of points. Cow tags are usually lottery. Deer is all draw.

Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine are all OTC for deer plus there are some lotteries for antlerless. Moose is all draw. Bear is OTC as well.

Last edited by Rob in VT; 10-21-2019 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

All our big game tags are OTC here in Virginia. I hunt East of the Blue Ridge Mtns. and get three Buck and three doe tags and three turkey tags with my big game license. You can take two deer a day. A bear tag is OTC but extra.