Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Found a wallow

Old 08-29-2019, 10:50 AM
Spike

Default Found a wallow

Hi everyone this is Rocky Mountain gobblers I'm unable to sign in as the new password link just sends me in circles hopefully it will be fixed soon so I can delete the screen name.

I found a wallow with a couple of bulls hitting it mostly at night do you think they will still be using this the middle of October ?
Do you think their use of this area will change to more of a feeding area ?
I did find a few beds but looks like the elk are coming off same side of the hill each time they come in, going to set cams on that side of the hill to possibly set up on that side instead of down in by the wallow
I also found an area farther up the drainage they could turn into a wallow but so far are only coming to the edge to drink staying mostly sheltered in the trees.
My season starts October 19th
Any tips or advice welcomed thank you in advance!
Old 08-30-2019, 01:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by CantsSignIn
Hi everyone this is Rocky Mountain gobblers I'm unable to sign in as the new password link just sends me in circles hopefully it will be fixed soon so I can delete the screen name.

I found a wallow with a couple of bulls hitting it mostly at night do you think they will still be using this the middle of October ?

Maybe. A lot depends on it: weather, pressure, competition, wallow drying up etc...

Do you think their use of this area will change to more of a feeding area ?
Again, maybe. I'd look more to finding secure bedding areas than feeding areas. Elk like a place they fell secure in when hunting pressure heats up.

I did find a few beds but looks like the elk are coming off same side of the hill each time they come in, going to set cams on that side of the hill to possibly set up on that side instead of down in by the wallow
Hunting corridors between bedding areas and feeding/wallow areas is always a good plan. Set up in a place with good concealment and shooting lanes.

I also found an area farther up the drainage they could turn into a wallow but so far are only coming to the edge to drink staying mostly sheltered in the trees.
My season starts October 19th

Any tips or advice welcomed thank you in advance!

Look for a place with 2 well used trails crossing and stake it out. Let other hunters run the game to you. Patience is better than burning up show leather.
Best of luck to you.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you were hunting in the hotter weather this might be a good thing to find but by the time mid October gets here the elk will almost certainly change their habits. Since you are hunting the second season the elk will have been bothered by hunters already. Pressure and weather will make huge differences in what the elk are currently doing.