Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Northwest Nebraska deer hunt >

Northwest Nebraska deer hunt

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Northwest Nebraska deer hunt

Old 06-03-2019, 09:40 AM
Spike

Default Northwest Nebraska deer hunt

Alright fellas this is my first post. My father and I are planning a mule deer/ whitetail hunt in November in NW Nebraska for there firearm season. We have never hunted out west in terrain like this. We are planning on staying at fort Robinson and hunting public land around that area. My goal is to learn western style hunting and bring some meat home. The terrain will be a challenge but I’m in good physical shape and willing to hike miles to my spots. Would y’all recommend a spotting scope for the area? I live and hunt in South Georgia so it will be a change that is out of my comfort zone. What are some do’s and dont’s that I may not be aware of? My top choice would be a mule deer but from what I understand there will be a lot more Whitetails in the area. I’m after a mature buck of course but like I said one of my top goals is bringing meat home and I would rather harvest does then a young buck, so would an additional doe tag with my general firearm tag be a smart purchase? It it best to try to go to a high vantage point and glass for hours or glass for short times and cover ground? We are going to be scouting for about 2 days before the season opens and then hunt for about 5 days. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I have already called and talked to the game and parks department about the hunt. From my understanding the quantity and quality has decreased the past couple years. Thanks again
Old 06-03-2019, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

Every ridge will have orange on it, you may get lucky opening morning and drop an animal, if you do not that morning, chances are you will not. The grasslands are almost as bad, plus you have vehicles going all around, hoping for road kill. Personally, I would not waste the cost of a NR tag and then be forced to hunt public land unless you enjoy sight seeing, it is a beautiful area. Nebraska has very , very few public lands, thus they all get pounded. Trespass fee or guide would be best bet if you can afford it, landowners have little patience , they get hounded for permission the month before season and by the time it arrives, doors are shut.