Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Elk hunting in Colorado in 2020 >

Elk hunting in Colorado in 2020

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk hunting in Colorado in 2020

Old 03-18-2019, 05:59 PM
car
Typical Buck

Default Elk hunting in Colorado in 2020

I'm looking for some advise on what unit and outfitter you would recommend to elk hunt in Colorado in 2020. I'll have 18 points going into the 2020 draw and would like to use my points wisely. I'll be 62 years old and I'm in good health, but I'll need to use a outfitter rather than try to do it myself. I figured with that many points it should put me in some pretty good areas. So tell me what you think
Old 03-20-2019, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

You might check out the Trinchera Ranch in Unit 83. Last few years they have taken 400” bulls. Ask if they were effected by the Spring Fire in June of 2018.

Also Cielo Vista Ranch has shown great success with mature bulls.

Best of luck.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Eighteen points are a good thing, but a bit of a tough spot. You should be able to draw 76 if the point creep does not bite you. I have hunted 76 quite a few times and I have taken some nice bulls there in the past, but lately I just hunt cows. The internet buzz is that huge bulls are behind every tree in 76 but the reality is that a 300" bull is still considered a very large bull there. Every year a few larger bulls do come out of 76 for a hand full of very lucky hunters and it is beautiful country. If 76 is the choice I believe a call to Sammy Frazier would be worth the time. Unit 61 is a better unit for bigger bulls but it will take at least a couple more points. If I had a hat full of points and really wanted a great bull I believe unit 61 would be my target.

Everyone understandably wants to hunt the first season in these premium units. First season can be wonderful, or it can be hot and the bulls become hard to find. Do not underestimate the second and third seasons and the weather changes that they bring. The biggest bull I have ever shot in 76 came on a third season hunt.

The large private ranches might be a very good choice if the price is not too steep. I only see the Trinchera from the highway as I drive past and it is a vast and beautiful place.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

You might let us know what your aprox budget is for the "outfitter" If you are talking a max of say $5000, then the ranches mentioned are probably a bit more than that.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:43 AM
car
Typical Buck

I would like to stay around $6500 or less, not counting tip.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:21 PM
car
Typical Buck

It was suggested to me that I might be better off instead of looking for a unit that's in the 18 point range to look for a outfitter that has private land with good bulls and little pressure, even if it was in a unit that only took 8 points or so hunting on private would out way hunting on a unit that takes 16+ points and it's public land. Can I get some feedback on that?
Old 03-22-2019, 03:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

The high-point units are a wonderful thing for a DIY hunter. Less pressure from other hunters and better game management are the two main bonuses. Both of those factors are well controlled on the large private ranches as well, along with coordination of the hunt and the hunters. Even in the best units is quite possible to have other hunters bugger up your hunt, and the guides only work in their assigned part of the unit. It is public property any anyone with a license can go anywhere you can. Even in the best units there are problems.

The private ranches can control the hunt better to allow all of the hunters their best chance, and the guides communicate with each other. I have hunted mule deer on private ranches before and the hunt has a completely different feel to it. The game is not disturbed and the hunt is more relaxed. It is different than hunting the public areas.

Guides in the high-point units on public land have no more rights than anyone else. Other hunters can set up camp nearby and stalk the same game, and they often do.

Last edited by Big Uncle; 03-22-2019 at 03:07 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

PM sent to answer your question.