HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Elk hunting in Colorado in 2020
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2019, 12:23 PM
Big Uncle
Nontypical Buck

Eighteen points are a good thing, but a bit of a tough spot. You should be able to draw 76 if the point creep does not bite you. I have hunted 76 quite a few times and I have taken some nice bulls there in the past, but lately I just hunt cows. The internet buzz is that huge bulls are behind every tree in 76 but the reality is that a 300" bull is still considered a very large bull there. Every year a few larger bulls do come out of 76 for a hand full of very lucky hunters and it is beautiful country. If 76 is the choice I believe a call to Sammy Frazier would be worth the time. Unit 61 is a better unit for bigger bulls but it will take at least a couple more points. If I had a hat full of points and really wanted a great bull I believe unit 61 would be my target.

Everyone understandably wants to hunt the first season in these premium units. First season can be wonderful, or it can be hot and the bulls become hard to find. Do not underestimate the second and third seasons and the weather changes that they bring. The biggest bull I have ever shot in 76 came on a third season hunt.

The large private ranches might be a very good choice if the price is not too steep. I only see the Trinchera from the highway as I drive past and it is a vast and beautiful place.