Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
I've never been hunting, how do I start? >

I've never been hunting, how do I start?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

I've never been hunting, how do I start?

Old 11-14-2018, 03:04 AM
Spike

Default I've never been hunting, how do I start?

Hi folks, as the title stated, I have never been hunting. I am a grown adult that grew up in a household that didn't value outdoor activities, so hunting was never something we did. Turns out I ended up being the conservative of the family and as such one of the things I got involved with was target shooting, and just general plinking out on BLM land in the high deserts of Colorado.

I have recently moved to Mid-Missouri for my job, but I don't know anyone here and no one I work with is a hunter. I have always wanted to go hunting, and the deer here are fairly plentiful as I understand it. Due to my age and income, I am looking to become more self-reliant and I would like to be able to put some meat in the freezer too help reduce our overall expenses. I already own several hunting rifles (I only ever used for ranged target practice) and am very comfortable with all types of firearms, but other than purchasing a tag, I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to hunting. Where to go, how to field-dress the animal, proper etiquette and other rules I should probably know.

I know for many it is a right of passage to go out hunting with their father or as a group, but I never had that opportunity and was never exposed to that life. So here I am, an adult on the outside looking in, and I have no idea where to go from here. So any advice is appreciated. Is there any reasonable way a noob such as myself can get into this by themselves or would you not even recommend someone like me even try unless they find someone who has enough pity on me to be willing to drag me along?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-14-2018, 03:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

First on the list is the Hunter Safety class. This is normally required before you can even buy a license and is very informative. Talking with other folks taking the class and talking with the instructors might help you make some contacts. Joining conservation organizations such as DU, IWLA, TU, etc.. and joining local shooting clubs/ranges should let you meet the right people in your area. Good luck in your new venture.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:26 AM
Super Moderator

First , Id point out, your hardly alone, in having a family that was not into camping,hunting, fishing and frequent firearms use.
ok first step get a copy of the state fire arm and hunting regulations and read them over carefully.
next youll want to get a map of your states wild life management or allowed hunting areas.
Id certainly suggest you start small, and that might mean start by hunting rabbits, pheasant. morning dove, squirrels.
Id strongly suggest you attend and pass your states hunter safety course before you go hunting as its probably mandatory to do that.
(you may find a friend or two there or at local skeet and trap ranges too hunt with)
Id suggest you try shooting skeet a few times as the concept of a moving target and having to lead the target is far easier to learn there than from books.
rent , borrow or buy a dozen related firearm care, and proper use,and training videos,
buy and watch a game processing videos
join the NRA and read the magazines
watch as many related videos as you can.
rent borrow or buy a couple dozen hunting tips videos, ideally find an experienced mentor.
youll need a freezer at some point.
your local library should have a modest selection of hunting related books available.
a great deal of the stuff you see is designed to promote product sales , you only need the basics, comfortable, warm clothes
(ideally camo but thats not mandatory) good hiking boots, weather resistant gear.
all the gear in the world is not all that helpful if you don,t understand the game, terrain and the required skills.
a decent day pack, and a knowledge of what your doing, and the game hunted
some of the tips in these threads may help (and Im sure others will post useful info)
Florida Whitetail Experience

http://garage.grumpysperformance.com...ing-tips.1095/

http://garage.grumpysperformance.com/index.php?threads/a-few-thoughts-related-to-hunting-trips-etc.9487/

https://www.academy.com/explore/8-de...SAAEgKpHvD_BwE

https://www.mantripping.com/stuff/ho...ew-hunter.html

https://www.artofmanliness.com/artic...-deer-hunting/

https://hunteredcourse.com/new-deer-...ccessful-hunt/

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

https://books.google.com/books/about...ource=kp_cover

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Deer-Hunting/dp/B000HF6HZA

Last edited by hardcastonly; 11-14-2018 at 05:35 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can certainly learn all on your own. School of hard knocks type of deal. But, teaming with another hunter will speed the process. Hunter Safety class is a great suggestion. Safety for you and others is #1 priority. Land stewardship (no litter, respect private property, close open gates, etc. etc.) and respect of game are keys in my book.

Missouri is full of public ground.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:10 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BigBobby
Hi folks, as the title stated, I have never been hunting. I am a grown adult that grew up in a household that didn't value outdoor activities, so hunting was never something we did. Turns out I ended up being the conservative of the family and as such one of the things I got involved with was target shooting, and just general plinking out on BLM land in the high deserts of Colorado.

I have recently moved to Mid-Missouri for my job, but I don't know anyone here and no one I work with is a hunter. I have always wanted to go hunting, and the deer here are fairly plentiful as I understand it. Due to my age and income, I am looking to become more self-reliant and I would like to be able to put some meat in the freezer too help reduce our overall expenses. I already own several hunting rifles (I only ever used for ranged target practice) and am very comfortable with all types of firearms, but other than purchasing a tag, I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to hunting. Where to go, how to field-dress the animal, proper etiquette and other rules I should probably know.

I know for many it is a right of passage to go out hunting with their father or as a group, but I never had that opportunity and was never exposed to that life. So here I am, an adult on the outside looking in, and I have no idea where to go from here. So any advice is appreciated. Is there any reasonable way a noob such as myself can get into this by themselves or would you not even recommend someone like me even try unless they find someone who has enough pity on me to be willing to drag me along?

Thanks in advance!
With a 22 or a 20 gauge, in squirrel season, hunting squirrels.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Join a sportsman's club where you will meet a lot of hunters. Perhaps one of them would show you the ropes, it is better to learn from an experienced hunter than to bumble along with no idea about what you are doing even when people tell you what to do. You will meet friends at a club and have a place to practice shooting as well.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with what everybody has said. Especially what Big Uncle said. Some people start with small game or birds or varmints or predators and work their way up to big game. A lot of that depends on what anybody you know that hunts does (you will find people that do hunt) but another piece of it is what you enjoy hunting. It's all good and there really are no wrong answers. A lot of people tend to focus on one category and basically have that busy season during the year. Warning in advance--If you decide to do all of them, your calendar gets pretty full and you find yourself smiling a lot.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I say all of the above. And you can try what I do. I wake up way early, well before sunrise, find me a likely spot and sit with my binoculars. I watch what the local game is doing and ask the questions, what, where, when and why. After awhile game movements start to make some sense. I enjoy watching as much as I enjoy actual hunting.
For me small game is where the fun is at. Jack Rabbit is my favorite, Dove a close second. I also enjoy hunting Varmints, mostly Fox or Yotes. I keep my eyes open when I'm hunting small game, I know where the Deer are.
Personally, Deer aren't that hard to hunt. I'm not much on Antlers and my freezer is always full. Basically my thinking is Deer are dumb, Fox and Yotes can be way smart. Older Hogs can also be way smart. I enjoy matching wits with them.
Hunting can take on some strange aspects. Some of the best times I've had was hunting Rattlers with my Dog. She'd point and I'd bag them early morning before they got very active.
I say don't get locked into that Deer and antlers thing, a lot of hunting to do besides Deer.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:13 AM
Fork Horn

If you can find a buddy to hunt with (possibly an older guy who doesn't like to drive), you will definitely cut the learning curve. I've mentored a couple adults (as well as kids who lost interest), it really is rewarding to see someone learn the ropes and move on to hunt by themselves , maybe even pass it on to a new person themselves.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go to a library that has books & magazines on hunting in the outdoors.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.