Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Going buffalo hunting

Old 10-10-2018, 04:09 PM
Spike

Default Going buffalo hunting

Got drawn for my buffalo hunt at Fort Peck in North East Montana going to go shoot it with a 50 x 90 sharps
Will bring you back some pictures
Old 10-10-2018, 04:13 PM
Spike

Worked up black powder load with 630 grain cast paper batch bullet it is shooting very well
Old 10-10-2018, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

That’s exciting. Are these the bison that filter out of Yellowstone? Best of luck, look forward to seeing pics of your success.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:46 AM
Fork Horn

Who told you this was a hunt? I live hour and a half away from where they pasture bison on the Ft Peck tribal reservation. They do get bison shipped occasionally from Yellowstone, reservation is in far NE Montana. edit...I see the website the tribe has list it as a hunt...LOL, I worked for the REC that covers the reservation, have worked outages many times up where they keep the bison, sounds like they are over selling it to me.

Last edited by mthusker; 10-11-2018 at 06:49 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I did one of those bison hunts outside Yellowstone once. A bunch had moved onto the hay meadows on a ranch and the rancher was happy to see them shot. Not much of a hunt but the meat was tasty.
Attached Thumbnails Going buffalo hunting-user213466_pic7592_1384614352.jpg  
Old 10-11-2018, 10:15 AM
Typical Buck

AOutfitter, Looks like you're good to go. I shot my buffalo with my .54 Hawken. One 435 grain Maxi-Hunter just behind his shoulder did the job.

Rob, Ft Peck is 300+ miles from where the buffalo come out of Yellowstone Park. They may have migrated that far 200 years ago, but now they just go a few miles.

Flags, You lucky dog. I've been putting in for that hunt since they started giving out tags for it.

As to the LOL comment about the OP's hunt, I don't know the details of this hunt, but my experience with both private and wild buffalo, both inside and outside the Park, is that they are not that hard to get close to. Probably not much harder than sitting in a tree stand overlooking a food plot and shooting a whitetail buck in it with a centerfire rifle. I have hunted bighorn sheep in Montana's unlimited tag units, and have been close enough to hear rams eating grass and to have hit a ram with a small rock thrown under handed. I practice enough and am confident enough with my centerfire hunting rifles that I consider anything within 300 yards a "chip shot." The hunting part is getting close enough to make your chip shot.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Definitely bring back pics.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by buffybr
Flags, You lucky dog. I've been putting in for that hunt since they started giving out tags for it.
There was a time when I put in for just about every tag I could except for desert bighorn. Never tried for those and now tags are nearly impossible to get. Back then a 3 or 4 year wait would have gotten you the tag in AZ or NV. But not anymore.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:46 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by AOutfitter
Worked up black powder load with 630 grain cast paper batch bullet it is shooting very well
While I realize black powder made the bison extint, but unless you can match smokeless, I say you owe it the animal to take it humanely. Maybe that round does with black powder. Obviously modern muzzle loaders are adequate. But I can also see some people want to do a re-enactment. Modern 45-70 would be my choice, can still play dress up with that.

I got nothing against this. Will be some good eating.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

The LOL was, I have actually been to the pasture they have bison numerous times, I have seen the bison for myself. To me , there is no difference between them and cattle. Both are accustom to men, vehicles. Buffy, everyone has their own definition of hunting, this is not mine. Any time fences are involved, in my opinion, hunting it is not. I know others disagree, but that is just my opinion. They will be excellent meat, still enjoying the meat of a 4 yr old bull from last winter. Been a blessed year, bison, 2 elk, bull and a cow, and 2 does, both mulie and whitetail all taken here in Montana. Lucky to be able to share with family and friends.