Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
More Federal Judge interference >

More Federal Judge interference

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

More Federal Judge interference

Old 09-02-2018, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good points. I mean there would never be any anti-hunter biologists who would publish a bogus study and propose a pie in the sky theory, right? I mean that's like saying that global warming scientists never corrupted their data to achieve a pre-desired outcome, right? Nah, that would never happen.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Attacking a poster due to political leaning and presumed residential location is wrong. Instead, educated discussion along with personal opinions is the purpose for this site and can be useful.

A simple internet search provided the following from Western Wildlife Outreach. A quoted source from the State of Washington not Montana...GASP! Not trying to come across as an expert as some frequent posters would love others to believe.

Here you go...

6. How large an area does an individual grizzly bear require?

That depends upon how rich the habitat is in bear foods. Grizzly bears are not territorial. They do not stake out and defend a well-defined area but follow food availability. A food source that is rich in early spring often fizzles out by late spring, causing bears to move to other food sources. As a result, home ranges generally change from year to year. Most bears move through an area of several miles during a 24-hour period, but daily movements may vary widely by season, food availability, age and sex of the bear, security cover, and level of disturbance.

The average home range size throughout North America for an adult female grizzly bear is about 70 square miles. Adult males have much larger home ranges, often 300-500 square miles. Male home ranges are generally larger because males travel over a broader area to find females. Female home ranges are usually smaller because the limited mobility of cubs confines them to an area just large enough to supply food, water, and security. Research is needed to learn about grizzly bear home ranges and habitat use in the North Cascades.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by elkman30
Good points. I mean there would never be any anti-hunter biologists who would publish a bogus study and propose a pie in the sky theory, right? I mean that's like saying that global warming scientists never corrupted their data to achieve a pre-desired outcome, right? Nah, that would never happen.
"Grizzly Bears Are Waking Up Early This Year, And Climate Change Could Make That A Bad Habit"

http://www.takepart.com/article/2015...ng-they-should
Old 09-04-2018, 01:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

More liberal nonsense!
Old 09-07-2018, 12:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rogerstv
Attacking a poster due to political leaning and presumed residential location is wrong. Instead, educated discussion along with personal opinions is the purpose for this site and can be useful.

A simple internet search provided the following from Western Wildlife Outreach. A quoted source from the State of Washington not Montana...GASP! Not trying to come across as an expert as some frequent posters would love others to believe.

Here you go...

6. How large an area does an individual grizzly bear require?

That depends upon how rich the habitat is in bear foods. Grizzly bears are not territorial. They do not stake out and defend a well-defined area but follow food availability. A food source that is rich in early spring often fizzles out by late spring, causing bears to move to other food sources. As a result, home ranges generally change from year to year. Most bears move through an area of several miles during a 24-hour period, but daily movements may vary widely by season, food availability, age and sex of the bear, security cover, and level of disturbance.

The average home range size throughout North America for an adult female grizzly bear is about 70 square miles. Adult males have much larger home ranges, often 300-500 square miles. Male home ranges are generally larger because males travel over a broader area to find females. Female home ranges are usually smaller because the limited mobility of cubs confines them to an area just large enough to supply food, water, and security. Research is needed to learn about grizzly bear home ranges and habitat use in the North Cascades.
I'm not sure what your point is. If an adult grizzly bear's home range is 500 square miles -- the maximum value listed -- that corresponds to a 22 mile X 22 mile region. Alternatively, that corresponds to a 44 mile X 11 mile region. Alternatively, that corresponds to an 88 mile X 6 mile region. These calculations aren't suggesting to me that an adult male grizzly bear is going to travel 300 miles as the crow flies to find a mate. Thus, I do not see the nexus of "an adult grizzly bear's maximum home range is 500 square miles" to this discussion.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sorry Rogers, no one can have an educated discussion with someone who makes up what he throws out as facts because it fits his political agenda and make no mistake about it, that is what his comments are about.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:56 PM
Fork Horn

I just wish one of these activist judges would order the U.S.F.W. and the state of California to reintroduce the grizz to California. While they are at it, order the restoration of the California coast, destroy all those beach front homes and hotels and give it back to nature.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

Not sure how many on this thread or following it actually know that the frequency of Bear vs Human interactions is climbing quite a bit in Montana , Idaho and Wyoming....the latest, a guide in NW Wyoming was attacked and killed by a sow grizz and full grown cub, the man being guided survived, this is just the latest in what is increasingly becoming more and more regular bear interactions with humans. But I doubt an activist judge will let facts get into the way of their personal agenda.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Kinda like Erno, facts are a thing he never lets affect his non thinking.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:42 PM
Typical Buck

I've lived about 90 miles north of Yellowstone Park for the past 40 years. I have not heard of a single verified sighting of a grizzly bear north of I-90 in Gallatin or Park counties, MT since I've been here.

Any thoughts of mother bears kicking their offspring out to prevent interbreeding is total BS. Male animals will attempt to breed any female of their species that comes into heat. They don't care if the female is their sister, mother, or grandmother.

Montana FWP is continually live trapping problem bears and transplanting them in other area of the state. If the FWP bear biologists were concerned about mixing the genetics of Yellowstone and Glacier Park grizzlies, they could easily move male bears between the parks, and not have to wait several hundred years for bears from each Park to naturally mix.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.