Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
RETURNING to the us with firearms >

RETURNING to the us with firearms

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

RETURNING to the us with firearms

Old 08-23-2018, 05:11 AM
Spike

Default RETURNING to the us with firearms

I have the Canadian declaration forms filled out and ready to go for the moose hunt . Has anyone had any issues using the same form when returning to the US to declare guns? Only seems sensible since the forms will be verified at the border by Canadian officials. I've never hunted out of the country and am just trying to cover all my bases before departing. I suppose google doesn't understand a simple common senses question and US border patrol does not employ an actual HUMAN which you can ask questions..... tried both. Any other advice/ suggestions also welcome.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

My Google seems to understand the question? It was like the very first hit i got?
RETURNING to the us with firearm
https://www.ezbordercrossing.com/tra...ment-websites/

https://www.cbp.gov/

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP)

You can call the U.S. CBP INFO Center for any type of information related to crossing the border. Their phone number is (877) 227-5511 or (202) 325-8000 from outside the U.S. The call center is open Monday-Friday between 9 a.m. and 12 p.m. and then again from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Eastern time.
Traveling outside of the U.S. - Temporarily taking a firearm, rifle, gun, shotgun or ammunition abroad for hunting purposes

What is the process for a traveler to temporarily take a firearm, rifle, gun, shotgun or ammunition abroad for hunting or sports-related purposes?Current export regulations issued by the Department of State require travelers to file Electronic Export Information (EEI) for temporary export of personally owned firearms via the Automated Export System (AES) prior to departure from the United States.

When a traveler contacts CBP to register their firearm for export and reentry, CBP will:
Complete a CBP Form 4457 to ensure a problem-free return to the U.S., and provide a fact sheet about the regulation and how to comply in the interim.

If you need to complete a form 4457 in the course of your travel, please give yourself enough time to do so, 2-3 hours is a good estimate. You also have the option of registering in advance at a CBP Port of Entry. Once the CBP 4457 is completed, it can be used repeatedly for that particular firearm.CBP advises travelers to become familiar with the import requirements of the foreign country(s) that they may be traveling through or visiting. Those countries may have restrictive laws and regulations regarding the use of firearms within their countries. For many countries that do allow the temporary importation of firearms, the CBP Form 4457 is required for entry of a U.S. owned firearm into their country. (Canada does not require it, but it does facilitate the temporary importation. Be sure to become familiar with Canada import requirements.)If you are taking ammunition, and there is a possibility you will not use it all and would like to re-import it, your CBP Form 4457 should reflect the kind of ammunition you are departing with.Upon returning to the U.S., the traveler will make a regular declaration regarding the personal effects and goods that they are carrying and ensure that they declare any firearms and ammunition.To satisfy the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives requirements for the re-importation of a firearm please refer to 27 CFR 478.115(a). The ATF regulations allow for the use of the CF 4457 upon re-importation, and does not require an approved import permit (ATF-6), provided that CBP is satisfied that the firearm was previously exported from the United States and is now being returned.To establish such proof, a bill of sale, receipt, copy of ATF Form 4473, household effects inventory, packing list, or registration on Customs Forms 4457 or 4455 may be used, if the registration form is completed prior to departure from the U.S. For military personnel, a properly executed Department of Defense Form 12521 signed by either the serviceman's commanding officer or an authorized Customs officer may be used. The acceptability of such proof is within the purview of the Customs officials at the port of entry.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 08-23-2018 at 05:48 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

You need to have US customs inspect the firearms and sign off on the 4457 form before you leave the USA. Make sure the serial numbers are right. Keep that form with your firearms because you have to show it when returning and they will verify the serial numbers. You can put other things on the form as well. I put my Leica binos and my scopes on it since they are high dollar items and I want to be able to prove I owned them before I left.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
You need to have US customs inspect the firearms and sign off on the 4457 form before you leave the USA. Make sure the serial numbers are right. Keep that form with your firearms because you have to show it when returning and they will verify the serial numbers.
+1 Had to go through the process when I went bear hunting last year in Ontario. Stop at the US customs on the way out. Show them the 4457 form. They will comfirm the serial number. Show them the same form on the way back. When I went through they didn't even bother to check the rifle on the way back.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Screw Canada.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
Screw Canada.
Just curious but how does a post like this help the OP answer his question? If you don't want to hunt Canada, that's fine. But the man asked a relevant and polite question.