Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Big game behavior during and after a fire . . . >

Big game behavior during and after a fire . . .

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Big game behavior during and after a fire . . .

Old 06-14-2018, 09:20 AM
Banned

Default Big game behavior during and after a fire . . .

Looking for info on the movement of big game (i.e. elk, moose, mulies, WT) during, and after a National forest wild fire?
I know that they come back the next year after a fire. Seen that many times first hand and have successfully taken advantage of it. But how far to they flee from the smoke, flames, firefighter activity and for how long?
I can't imagine they'll be back this summer/fall and am making alternative plans on hunt area(s). This particular fire (like most in th region, don't exactly burn everything to the ground. Some hot spots will burn everything but the fire jumps from spot to spot leaving some pockets of "green", but still in the smoke and chaos.
Any Wardens out there or biologists want to weigh in?
Old 06-14-2018, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Are you talking about the Colorado fires? If so i'd call the local DOW and ask for a biologist once the fires are out.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:18 AM
Banned

Naw . . . Badger Cr fire in SE Wyoming. Near Fox Park.
But I will be doing that . . . just opening up conversation from those who have experienced these things. We got lots of Beetle kill up here and have been expecting this and worse. Surprised it hasn't happened already.