Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Retired and needing a hunting partner >

Retired and needing a hunting partner

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Retired and needing a hunting partner

Old 04-23-2018, 12:26 PM
Spike

Default Retired and needing a hunting partner

Retired from Huntington WV & needing a hunting partner for my 1st elk hunt. I have no preference for a certain state but would like to do it this year. Have hunted white tail most of my life.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:10 PM
Fork Horn

I would be putting in for preference points in states where you are thinking you would like to hunt. It is not needed in some cases, but helps if you want to hunt popular limited tag regions. Also, are you a firearm or archery hunter? Good luck.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

You might want to provide more details and acquire those preference points as mthusker suggested. It lets people know which states you're considering and it's always nice to bring something to the table.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:11 PM
Spike

I am interested in cow elk rifle hunt, hoping to find someone in a state where I can get an OTC tag, for anyone that is interested I am a fair cook.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

There's no OTC cow tag in Colorado unless you're using a bow. Cow tags are easy to get with no points in the draw.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
There's no OTC cow tag in Colorado unless you're using a bow. Cow tags are easy to get with no points in the draw.
But the deadline is passed and you'll be looking over the leftover list. if I was going to do that as a non-resident I'd look into WY because that have reduced price cow/calf tags.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, if you're talking about this year. Leftover for a cow tag or a bull OTC tag.

A bull may be easier in rifle seasons. They'll be off by themselves or in small groups for the younger ones. The cows will be herded up and that's a lot of eyes looking at you. Both are fun to hunt and can be easy or hard depending on the situation. Don't scratch off a bull just because you're new to elk hunting.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:52 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Yes, if you're talking about this year. Leftover for a cow tag or a bull OTC tag.

A bull may be easier in rifle seasons. They'll be off by themselves or in small groups for the younger ones. The cows will be herded up and that's a lot of eyes looking at you. Both are fun to hunt and can be easy or hard depending on the situation. Don't scratch off a bull just because you're new to elk hunting.
I now have a hunting partner, we are thinking about otc for either Utah or Wyoming, for this year, any thoughts on either?
Old 04-24-2018, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

No, I can't help you with other states, I love Colorado and stay here.

Lot's of help here for those states. Good luck on your hunt.