Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Caribou.....

Old 03-31-2018, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default Caribou.....

Since the hunting is Quebec for caribou has shut down I've noticed that prices in other places has started to climb (surprise, surprise). If anyone wants to hunt caribou I'd suggest not waiting. Prices never seem to come down.

Looks like a lot of folks are going to Manitoba and Nunavut and quite a few to Alaska. Manitoba can be a real hit or miss deal. I went in 2013 and the caribou were there. In 2015 and 2016 they were not.....Caribou hunting, as most people know, can be hit or miss in general, but in Manitoba if they don't come down from Nunavut, it can be a very expensive sight seeing/fishing trip. If I go back, I'll probably go to Nunavut where you can hunt them before they migrate. Mountain Caribou is a good option as they don't migrate, but it's expensive... nearly double the cost of Manitoba or Nunavut.

Newfoundland is an option also, of course, if you want a Woodland caribou and perhaps a moose (although the moose tend to run on the small side).

Alaska: Be ready to open your wallet (especially if you want to get the meat home). You can do DIY there, but it can be a tough hunt. I've talked with several people who have hunted Alaska for caribou and all seemed to run into a problem of some sort. I've heard a lot of horror stories about caribou hunting in Alaska...everything from problems with the F&G, to no caribou, to problems with pilots, etc....
Old 04-01-2018, 03:11 AM
Dominant Buck

I hunted 3 times for woodland caribou in Newfoundland back in the early to mid 2000's. The hunting was all spot and stalk and a lot of fun. Tags are hard to get now since the herd declined and am sure it the costs have gone way up.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:08 AM
Fork Horn

I've thought about a hunt in Newfoundland... I'd love to see the country, etc., but it would be difficult to get the meat back to Montana from there! I have a tough time rationalizing a hunt where I can't take the meat home with me....Especially caribou...it's fantastic!!! When I was in the Coast Guard we used to refuel in St. Johns. We spent a New Year's Eve there back in 1970. Those Newfies are crazy and a ton of fun (from what I remember).
Old 04-01-2018, 07:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by tatonka
I've thought about a hunt in Newfoundland... I'd love to see the country, etc., but it would be difficult to get the meat back to Montana from there! I have a tough time rationalizing a hunt where I can't take the meat home with me....Especially caribou...it's fantastic!!! When I was in the Coast Guard we used to refuel in St. Johns. We spent a New Year's Eve there back in 1970. Those Newfies are crazy and a ton of fun (from what I remember).
Bringing meat is no problem. When I hunt Colorado and bag an elk I process and freeze it then pack it in a large 156 qt cooler and it is still frozen after a 3 day trip back home to Vermont. If the meat isn't frozen it can still be brought home with some dry ice packed into the cooler. Yup caribou is indeed a delicious meat. I have killed 3 and so has one of my hunting partners Rob. We just had them processed out there and then packed them in the coolers for the 1 day trip back home. Together we have brought back a dozen or more elk and mule deer from Colorado on a 3 day truck trip. Rob has a place out there and a freezer so we do all of our own processing now.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 04-01-2018 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Bringing meat is no problem. When I hunt Colorado and bag an elk I process and freeze it then pack it in a large 156 qt cooler and it is still frozen after a 3 day trip back home to Vermont. If the meat isn't frozen it can still be brought home with some dry ice packed into the cooler. Yup caribou is indeed a delicious meat. I have killed 3 and so has one of my hunting partners Rob. We just had them processed out there and then packed them in the coolers for the 1 day trip back home. Together we have brought back a dozen or more elk and mule deer from Colorado on a 3 day truck trip. Rob has a place out there and a freezer so we do all of our own processing now.
Yup, those Newfie hunts were a lot of fun with CI. I am headed back this year with my daughter for moose. Will be fun to get back on the island after 14 years. No issues bring meat back from CO or NF if done properly.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:55 AM
Fork Horn

Driving from Montana to Newfoundland and back would be just a bit much for me.... I've been up to Manitoba and shot two caribou and I went to northern B.C. and shot a moose. So, my future hunts will probably be Western Canada primarily because of the logistics. I really want to hunt Mountain Caribou..... I want to see the country and the Yukon or Northern B.C. is a doable drive for me....long, but not like driving to Newfoundland. I've also thought about flying to Vermont (where I grew up) and then renting a vehicle and driving to Newfoundland. I'd still have an issue with getting meat home, but I have a ton of friends and relatives in Vermont who would be drooling over some caribou and/or moose!!!!
Old 04-02-2018, 10:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by tatonka
Driving from Montana to Newfoundland and back would be just a bit much for me.... I've been up to Manitoba and shot two caribou and I went to northern B.C. and shot a moose. So, my future hunts will probably be Western Canada primarily because of the logistics. I really want to hunt Mountain Caribou..... I want to see the country and the Yukon or Northern B.C. is a doable drive for me....long, but not like driving to Newfoundland. I've also thought about flying to Vermont (where I grew up) and then renting a vehicle and driving to Newfoundland. I'd still have an issue with getting meat home, but I have a ton of friends and relatives in Vermont who would be drooling over some caribou and/or moose!!!!
Nothing quite like a road trip. That was half the fun.....
Old 04-02-2018, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Nothing quite like a road trip. That was half the fun.....
There are road trips and then there are road trips! It would be approximately 3,200 miles and 58 hours of driving one way for me to Newfoundland!