Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
anyone else really pissed at the ever increasing licence fees >

anyone else really pissed at the ever increasing licence fees

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

anyone else really pissed at the ever increasing licence fees

Old 02-02-2018, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mthusker
First, hunting anywhere is a privilege, let alone hunting a state outside of the one you reside in. I will comment on my state, Montana. Yes, over a $1000 for NR big game combo is high, you know what else is high, state income tax, had over $21,000 withheld this past year for state income tax, true, a small portion will refunded, but still a lot of money, not even counting other state and local taxes. A NR get's by cheap in my opinion. Does NR hunting help our state economy, of course, but you can make the argument that resident hunting suffers from it, I know residents who have been denied tags to certain areas here in Montana, while a NR get's to draw a tag, sorry, to me, that is wrong. Some will say that is greedy thinking, but, who is the greedy one, those wanting to hunt where they live, or those expecting hunting opportunity in other states along with the one they call home?
If you paid $21,000 in state income taxes, how about we swap incomes? My Dad always said to try to find a job where you pay a lot of taxes because that means you're doing pretty darn well. Anyone want to swap places with people who pay no taxes? I doubt it.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

No thanks, I have worked very hard in my life....my mother raised 5 boys, worked 2 jobs, one of which was cleaning other folk's toilet's. Me and my wife live very comfortable, thankfully. Paying those taxes is not an "if"....we pay those, and do a fair amount of giving here in Montana where we live. I think there is a lot to be said for being part of your community and state, hit's a nerve when people just want to come and take what we have, then complain about cost...
Old 02-03-2018, 08:55 AM
Spike

Yes, rising costs in lots of areas of life. Yes, hunting is a privilege. Yes, I think it's gotten out of hand. Lots of different philosophies here, but I think the fees and regs have gone too far...
Old 02-04-2018, 07:18 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by hardcastonly
I doubt you can find a single state where all the licences total less than $700 ...
Montana probably has the lowest cost of resident hunting licenses in the country. As a resident geezer, my cost to fish and hunt for upland birds, turkey, deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, black bear, moose, mtn goat, mtn lion, bison, and wolf would be $622.25.

HOWEVER, antelope, sheep, moose, goat, and bison are draw tags with chances of drawing some of those tags of less than 1/2 of 1%. Although I was lucky enough to have drawn all of those tags, except bison, 30 or more years ago, I have applied for a mtn goat tag for 40 straight years without drawing.

I got flamed on another thread for posting that Wyoming has priced me out of hunting in their state, as have the other western states including my native state of Colorado (where gas was 19 cents a gallon when I was 16 and started driving there).

I am not pissed at the increasing non-resident license fees, I just refuse to pay them when I can hunt any of those animals in my home state for only a fraction of the cost.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

And that is a sensible way to look at the situation rather than want the states to be controlled on how much they may charge a none resident. The same tack I take, if I don;t think the juice is worth the squeeze, I don't squeegee.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I wanted to live by a beach, I'd be living on a state that has a coastline. If I wanted to make a lot of money, I'd live somewhere the economy was booming.

I'd rather live in/near the mountains and away from the crowds and "conveniences," which is why I'm in Wyoming. I endure the hazards and risks, and I enjoy the benefits.

When I was an avid snowmobiler, I always found it interesting that the nonresidents who'd pour in from Colorado and the flatland states would scream about a $30 ORV permit (there was no resident or nonresident tag), while pulling $35K in snowmobiles with a fancy $60K diesel crew-cab truck. Poor them. Hunters aren't much different.

If you want cheap licenses, go live where you hunt.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would feel a little better about it if NRs didn't have to pay for most of those DOWs new trucks, gas, programs, etc. In Colorado, NRs have a "cost of living" price increase EVERY year. If the same thing happed to residents, we wouldn't really have an argument, but it doesn't
Old 02-06-2018, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

So, I guess I'm a bit curious now as to what you believe DOW is supposed to do? Sit in the office and sell cheap licenses?

Here's a thought you might consider. Your license fee may reflect the cost nonresidents are generally willing to bear? Yes, there are nonresidents out there who DIY exclusively - offset by those who hire an "outfitter" who'll charge them $5K to shoot a mediocre buck on Farmer Fred's pasture. Funny how I don't hear nonresidents complain about the quality of those kinds of hunts, though?

To some degree, hunting's an industry. Most states (and especially those whose DOWs are funded by license fees and not the state's general fund) recognize that there's not a lot of money to be made going after the residents with higher license fees. They count on us for boots on the ground and selling more licenses to us instead and go after the nonresidents who may only buy one license in their lifetime in their state-to-state quests.

Don't feel too badly, it happens to us residents when we go somewhere else as nonresidents, too.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by txhunter58
In Colorado, NRs have a "cost of living" price increase EVERY year.
How do you figure? I am a 5th generation CO native that now lives in TX and I know for a fact the CO NR licenses do not increase in price every year. So please take a moment and explain the "cost of living" comment?

In TX we do not pay any state income tax. If I lived back in my native CO I would pay 4.63% state tax. Based on my income of just less than $100,000 a year that means I would pay more than $4000 for the privilege of getting a $40 elk tag. Have you ever stopped to look at it hat way? It is cheaper for me to live in TX, save the tax $$$ and buy a NR tag.

Bottom line is that the game depts in every state work for the residents of those states and not for the residents of other states. Those residents do and should take precedence over non-residents. After all, here in TX they sure do don't they?
Old 02-06-2018, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

[QUOTE=flags;4327832]How do you figure? I am a 5th generation CO native that now lives in TX and I know for a fact the CO NR licenses do not increase in price every year. So please take a moment and explain the "cost of living" comment?QUOTE

Resident license fees can not be raised in CO without an act of the legislature because that would be a "tax increase". But NRs are exempt from that statute, so they passed a reg to allow the DOW the right to increase our fees every year tied to a 'cost of living" price index. In the rare year where prices on everything are flat, or dip then they don't raise the NR prices, but that is rare indeed. And that might have happened once since the change? So you are technically correct, but in reality they raise prices essentially every year.

Didn't the DOW make a concerted effort to raise resident prices in 2016 that failed? No matter, they just keep raising them on us.

QUOTE: In TX we do not pay any state income tax. If I lived back in my native CO I would pay 4.63% state tax. Based on my income of just less than $100,000 a year that means I would pay more than $4000 for the privilege of getting a $40 elk tag. Have you ever stopped to look at it hat way? It is cheaper for me to live in TX, save the tax $$$ and buy a NR tag. QUOTE

That income tax they pay does nothing for the animals of Colorado. So what you are saying is because Colorado is overtaxed already due to stupid liberal lawmakers, they can make NRs pay for their game departments? Sorry, but two wrongs don't make a right.

Bottom line is they do it because they can and will continue to squeeze us for as much as we will stand. I can personally afford to pay anything they charge, so I guess I should be glad that others are being priced out of going. I guess I just look at it differently.

Last edited by txhunter58; 02-06-2018 at 06:49 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.