Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Combo Hunts?

Old 12-12-2017, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Combo Hunts?

What are some the best combo hunts you have been on or want to go on? By combo I mean 2 or more animals.

I have been on a Wyoming Mule Deer/Antelope hunt and an Anticosti Island Whitetail Hunt with two buck tags. Was successful on both trips.

Also went on a Woodland Caribou/Black Bear Hunt in Newfoundland. Took a Caribou but not a bear.

Been on numerous Whitetail hunts with 1 buck and does tags.

Are there places where you can take a Whitetail buck and a Mule Deer buck?
Old 12-12-2017, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

I know of places that have any deer tag, good for either or. Not sure about both. I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't concurrent seasons somewhere though where you could hunt both.

-Jake
Old 12-13-2017, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Would love a Mule deer / antelope or bear hunt. Might have to start limiting my hunting at home though to save the cash for such a thing lol.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:45 AM
Typical Buck

Where possible I try to do combo hunts as it cuts the travel costs.

Of course most African hunts are for multiple species, however on my last two hunts in Mozambique I wound up only shooting one trophy animal on each hunt.

New Zealand is a great destination for a multi-animal hunt. I brought 5 great animals home from my hunt there.

When I hunted Dall sheep in the Mackenzie Mountains in Canada's Northwest Territories, I also bought tags for Mountain Caribou, Wolf, and Wolverine. This was a backpack hunt, and a Super Cub flew us from base camp to one area for Sheep and another area for Caribou.

When my guide and I were packing my ram and our camp back to the super cub pick up site, we came across a Wolverine and I filled that tag.

On his previous hunt my guide had seen several Wolves in the area that he took me for Caribou. However most of the Caribou and the Wolves had moved out of that area. I ended up shooting a large, but not a super Mountain Caribou bull that I was able to have mounted with the velvet on his antlers.

I might have been able to shoot a Wolf back at base camp, but instead of sitting down and waiting for the wolf to come to us, one the guides said "lets go" and we rushed off to intercept the wolf. The next time I saw the wolf he was in the brush 30 yards in front of us, but the guide was between me and the wolf. That was the last we saw of him.

Another great combo hunt that I had was for Canadian Barren Ground Caribou and Musk ox out of Inuvik, Northwest Territories. It was a September hunt so the temperature was not bitter cold. We were allowed two caribou each, and all four of us hunters in camp shot a B&C bull, as was my Musk ox bull.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wyoming Mule Deer/Antelope (wife and I both tagged out in 2 days)
Idaho Elk/Deer or Bear or Lion (archery deer tag good for any of the 3). Never got both.