Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

new to hunting

Old 12-10-2017, 08:41 AM
Spike

Default new to hunting

Hi guys,
Im new to hunting and looking for learning material. What books/Podcasts would you guys recommend?
Matt
Old 01-07-2018, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Id start by finding, joining and passing a local hunter safety course and getting a copy of your states hunting regulations.
(post what city and state your in and maybe the local guys can point you in the right direction)
if you were to go to a local outdoor rifle range, and spend some time at a couple gun-shops getting to know some of the clerks and customers it may help, but the best thing you could do is both read a great deal on the subject and find an older experienced mentor.
buy and read all your state regulations and get subscriptions to hunting magazines
go to the local library and check out books by WOOTERS, O,connor, townson whelen, Mark & Terry Drury

Last edited by hardcastonly; 01-07-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

People could maybe recommend specific clubs, etc. if they knew what state you're in. Also, do you have any family or friends who hunt?
Old 01-08-2018, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

QDMA is a good resource. Kind of Deer specific, but many of the tips and strategies carry over to many animals.

There are many game specific organizations, Ducks, Turkeys, Upland Game etc.

I was lucky and found a couple of mentors over the years. Happenstance more than planning. One was a guy who worked at the same place I did, maybe twenty years my senior. I'd invite him for surf fishing and he'd invite me on hunts. The other was a guy who was dating the same girl I was dating, when we found out about each other, we decided hunting was more important than she was. We were fast friends and hunting buddies for many years, he taught me a lot.

One thing that helped is I was a good shooter before I was a decent hunter. A lot of people go hunting without the skill sets to accomplish much. A good shot who is a poor hunter, can be more successful than a good hunter who is a poor shot. The shooting range can be a good place to meet people, though many hunters are slow to share their hunting spots, most are quick to share their knowledge. Same with the gun stores.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 01-08-2018 at 06:28 AM.