HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Ridge Runner hunting with Bergers? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/416138-ridge-runner-hunting-bergers.html)

Blackelk 11-05-2017 02:12 AM

Ridge Runner hunting with Bergers?

Ridge Runner and whoever else has had long range hunting kills using Berger bullets.

What I'm going to ask I already know but it's the further end of the spectrum I'm wondering about.

I was curious on how well that small little hollow point would open at further ranges as the velocity dropped off. Yesterday I got the opportunity to finally test the 170gr .277 EOL on a bull elk at 400 yards two broadside shots. One I stuck through the shoulder and the other right behind the shoulder. Both drilled a golf ball size hole through to the other side. The one behind the ribs exited of course and the shoulder hit was laying just under the skin. So in reality perfect bullet performance. There was about a 1/3 of the left on the recovered bullet. That is a lot less bullet than I expected given the original weight, but that was blowing through two shoulder bones.

As you increase the range the bullet slows down and regardless you know your going to retain more bullet weight after impact. Now according to Berger 1800 fps is the go/no go range on fps. So here's my question.

At 7800ft in altitude starting elevation my cut off is 1200 yards at 1795 fps and 1216 ft lbs of energy. Not saying I'm ever going to shoot at a animal anywhere near that distance. My question is have you found a yardage distance where the Berger starts to not be so rapidly expanding?

I don't mind what the bullet did inside the animal. You could of put a softball through the hole in the lung. Nothing is going to live through that.

jeepkid 11-05-2017 03:57 AM

Yeah Berger is correct on their 1800fps data. Could even be a bit more depending on the bullet.

The last two animals I know of that were shot with Bergers were complete failures. I'm hoping they didn't change anything on their bullet construction.

Ridge Runner 11-05-2017 04:23 AM

Bergers are designed to penetrate 2" then violently expand, as long as the jacket is not compromised by fast, sharp rifling. I have kills to 840 yards on whitetails, and don't see much difference in performance at 800 vs. 500, except on close range I sometimes get either an exit, or find nothing but fragments. but they are doing what they were designed to do, maximum tissue damage. this is 140's at 3180 fps, soon as my big 7 is rebarrelled will work with 180's, and will do some loadwork with 300 hybrids in my 338 edge.
RR

edited to add: they'll expand at less than 1800 fps, but not as quickly at higher velocities, I have had the tough 160 accubonds expand at 1500, complete penetration leaving a Nickel sized exit wound. thats what you don't want with burgers is an exit, they work best if they totally expend their energy inside the animal.

Blackelk 11-05-2017 01:04 PM

Thanks Ridge and Jeepkid

HIGHLANDER HUNTING 12-08-2017 10:31 AM

wasnt super long range, but got my elk at 405 yards this year out of my 280AI at 2900fps, and he went 40 yards before cratering. they work well!

SilverbulletM70 12-08-2017 11:01 AM

I can't answer your question as to how far out these are lethal but for me, the round is lethal further than I'm comfortable taking a clean shot. I've used the 168 VLD in my 7mm WSM to take both Elk and Whitetail. Closest shot has been inside 40 yards with the longest shot inside 400 yards. Every shot has been a through and through with massive internal damage. If they didn't drop in their tracks, they didn't go far. The lethality of this round at practical hunting ranges is unquestionable.

Early on, folks had me worried this round may be too "fragile" for Elk but, that hasn't been an issue for me. I also have some 300 grain Bergers for the 338 Mag that may get called into service next season but I have the opposite worry there with those possibly not expanding as much as I'd like...