Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
A question for hunters in North America >

A question for hunters in North America

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

A question for hunters in North America

Old 09-08-2017, 12:27 AM
Spike

Default A question for hunters in North America

Ok so this is my first time posting here so don't hound me for being stupid or whatever. So i live in europe and am not old enough yet to become a hunter but am planning on doing it when i can. I am particularly interested in moose hunting and obviously have watched vids and looked around the internet about moose hunting and as most people already know european moose antlers are not very impressive incomparison to North American moose and so i wanted to ask do most moose in NA have big pan antlers and its not hard to hunt an amazing trophy?
Old 09-08-2017, 08:54 AM
Typical Buck

Yes, North American moose have larger antlers than European moose. The largest antlers being from the Alaska/Yukon variety, which are also the most expensive to hunt. As in other antlered game animals, mature animals have larger antlers.

All moose tags in the continental United States are obtained through drawings, and are very difficult to obtain. I have been applying every year since 1988 in my home state of Montana without drawing a moose tag.

There are many areas in Canada and Alaska with over the counter moose tags, but nonresident aliens are required to have guides, which given the large size of moose, is not a bad thing.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:02 AM
Fork Horn

Good for you in planning joining the hunting club.
You say too young to hunt....what the the age requirements there? Is there classes or sportsmans clubs you could join, perhaps to find a mentor?
I am thinking a big difference in hunting moose in North America may be accessibility. We have very large wilderness tracts that change the style of hunting ( I would guess). My first hunt I settled for a relatively young bull, 9 pointer, was and still am very pleased with it.
Don't get over awed by the need for a huge bull....they are all huge when you walk up to them. Any reason to get out in the woods can be a hunt.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nothing is really hard to hunt in this day and age if you have enough time and enough money. However if you lack either then getting a really big moose is a tall order. If I knew anyplace in North America where I could get a really good moose without breaking the bank I sure wouldn't tell anyone before I had a trip booked myself. I have been trying to draw a moose tag in CO, ME and NH for many years. I'm still waiting.

Last edited by flags; 09-10-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a good excuse to save up and do a North American Safari.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

I believe in freedom and tolerance and letting people live and do largely as they see fit. Don't take my comments negatively -- I simply want to suggest an alternative way of thinking. I have been a big game hunter since 2002 and I have never been motivated by antlers or antler size. I keep my antlers and in most cases clean them up and mount them up on a plaque of wood that I display in my house, but I honour all my kills not just the ones with more inches or more protuberances. I also have metal plates made that I put on the plaques that say who took the animal -- usually me, but one is a rack my father took -- the date, and the firearm used. If I have it, I attach the spent cartridge that I killed the animal with to the plaque. I leave any tags attached as well. All these are collectively a memento of the hunt.

I love big game hunting. I love making a clean kill, taking care of the meat myself, butchering the animal myself, and then cooking the meat myself. I like doing the acts of a hunt WELL. I love being in the woods where I hunt. It is not remotely essential to me that what I kill have a bigger rack or more points. Of course, it must be legal. I can honestly say that the last of three elk that I have killed was my most satisfying hunt -- and I took a cow elk on this hunt.

So, again, freedom is great. To each his or her own. If you are really keen on trophy hunting, go for it. But do be aware there are rich rewards in hunting that need not be measured in points or in inches.

Last edited by Alsatian; 09-13-2017 at 10:28 AM.