Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

rifle recomendations

Old 09-07-2017, 08:18 PM
Spike

Default rifle recomendations

Hey guys I am an Illinois guy where they don't allow the use of rifle for big game hunting only slug guns, so I do not have a lot of knowledge on rifles. I'm going on a rifle elk hunt in November in Colorado. looking for recommendations from some of you guys who hunt out west a lot. I am thinking 308 caliber, bolt action, stainless barrel . I do not need something super expensive but I do not want generic garbage either. please tell me what you guys like, what brand , model, caliber, barrel length and type and reasons why. Also whats a good scope and ammo you like . thanks in advance .
Old 09-08-2017, 02:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Savages has nice rifles, well made at good prices in several calibers.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Smitty do you mean the 308 cartridge or 308 caliber? There are many in the 308 caliber with the 30-06 the most popular.
Although the 308 itself is capable of taking an elk with the proper bullets it would not be on the top of my list. Depending on your stature and ability to withstand recoil I go with a 30-06 or 300 Win Mag for elk. The old 06 with a quality 180 bullet is hard to beat as a meat getter.
As for rifles Savage makes a good one. I've also heard good things about the Mossberg Patriot and Ruger American too. But don't overlook the used gun racks. You can sometimes fine a great deal on a fine rifle there.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Howa 1500 in a sufficient caliber of your choosing.

Doesn't need to be stainless either,
Old 09-08-2017, 06:47 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by jeepkid
Howa 1500 in a sufficient caliber of your choosing.

Doesn't need to be stainless either,
The reason I was thinking stainless is less rusting problem compared to blued barrels .
Old 09-08-2017, 08:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by smitty0538
The reason I was thinking stainless is less rusting problem compared to blued barrels .
One elk hunt in Colorado won't make it rust.

Wipe it down with some oil after you get home and it'll be fine.

I was just saying it doesn't have to be stainless because there's some killer deals on CM barreled rifles.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:41 AM
Spike

What is a cm barreled rifle ??
Old 09-08-2017, 09:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by smitty0538
What is a cm barreled rifle ??
Chrome Moly...the barrel option that isn't stainless.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:35 AM
Typical Buck

While a proper bullet with proper bullet placement will certainly kill an elk, I would recommend something with a little more power, like a .30-06, 7mm Rem or .300 Win mag, topped with a good 3-9 variable scope. I prefer bold action rifles with 24" barrels. My favorite elk rifle now is a .300 Weatherby vanguard topped with a 4.5-14x Leopold scope.

Remington, Savage, Weatherby vanguard/Howa all make good inexpensive rifles. Leopold, Nikon, and Burris make good scopes.

I hunted elk for about 30 years with rifles with blued barrels and wood stocks, but I now have a backup foul weather rifle with a stainless barrel and plastic stock.

I only shoot reloaded ammo, but for the occasional shooter, there is good factory ammunition available. Although I have killed many elk with standard cup and core bullets, I would recommend a premium bullet like a Barnes, Nosler Partition or Accubond for elk. In 30 caliber, 180 grain bullets are pretty standard for elk.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

I own several 40 to 50 year old rifles and shotguns which are blued, not of them exhibit any rust. All you have to do is regularly clean and lightly and I mean lightly lubricate the metal parts of the firearm. As for me, I do not care for stainless steel barrels and actions on rifles for hunting or synthetic stocks, to each his own. A properly cared for blued barrel and action will last and be useful for several lifetimes. I do however own several stainless steel handguns. If you do buy stainless, they need the same maintenance as blued firearms. Here is an 8mm Mauser I sporterized and cold blued 46 years ago as a gift for my brother. It still looks this good today as them photos were taken last year.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 09-08-2017 at 10:08 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.