Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

.243 for moose??

Old 12-25-2017, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Both hunters, "both competent shots," aren't likely to butt-shoot an animal. That's the point I'm making. A bad shot is a bad shot, regardless of the cartridge used.

(edit) I use a .243 almost exclusively for deer and pronghorn. A friend once complained to me that he got rid of his .243 because it just didn't kill animals. He offered me what ammunition he had left. 75gr HPs. Varmint bullets. He truly didn't think there was a difference between 75gr HPs and 100gr PSPs. Another guy I know was shooting M80 military ball from his .308 for deer. The older I get, the more I shake my head at the choices people can make.

Merry Christmas!

Last edited by homers brother; 12-25-2017 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:39 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
You can't compare a seasoned hunter with a 243 to a novice with a 300 mag who only owned it for a day, it is apples and oranges. The comparison should be two seasoned hunters, both competent shots, one with a .243 and one with the 300 mag and the question is, which gun would be the best for moose? The answer is without question the 300 mag. Just because it is possible to do something does not mean you should. I saw a situation where a guy shot a deer right on the shoulder with a .222, the deer stumbled and kept going and another guy about 80 yards away put it on the ground with an 06. The two men showed me the deer and the base of the .222 could be seen sticking out of the shoulder slightly, it never penetrated the shoulder. Can you kill a deer with a .222, yes you can. Is it a good idea, no. If we respect the game we hunt we should use a caliber commensurate the game.

Dead right. Anything is possible but everything isn’t sensible.