Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear hunting is dangerous

Old 05-30-2017, 10:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Driving to work every day can be dangerous , in fact crossing a busy street on foot can be dangerous. However it is not the norm, neither is it the norm for hunting back bears.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:40 AM
Spike

Im a bow hunter and i have confidence i can take out a bear with my g5 prime impact compound but i carry a 44 mag ruger red hawk with liopold scope just in case with self defense ammo
Old 05-30-2017, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 44magjustincase
Im a bow hunter and i have confidence i can take out a bear with my g5 prime impact compound but i carry a 44 mag ruger red hawk with liopold scope just in case with self defense ammo
self defense ammo is one of the poorest choices to be carrying as a BACK up to a BEAR hunt
its designed to GRAB and NOT for deep penetration, the petal on most self defense ammo will open and grab hair and fat and NOT , penetrate or do as much damage as MUCH better bullets will!
just so you know
and a BOW doesn't kill with any SHOCK value, it bleeds things out, NOT a weapon to defend yourself in a RARE odds deal LOL
Just saying here not again Bashing on anyone,
not everyone knows some things some times, and can maybe learn about better options in bullets for a back up gun on you!
and a SCOPE< isn't a good option on a FAST attacking critter, OPEN sights will get you on target WAY faster and be a faster drawing gun too boot!
again, just advice and food for thought!
Old 05-30-2017, 11:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yep, designated self defense ammo is for stopping people not bears.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 05-30-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Driving to work every day can be dangerous , in fact crossing a busy street on foot can be dangerous. However it is not the norm, neither is it the norm for hunting back bears.
I agree it's not the norm unless we were talking about grizz. However, it only takes once to give you a bad day. Better to be ready for anything.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes sir, on that we agree. Just taking a walk can be dangerous in Grizzly country.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by 44magjustincase
Carry a pistol in some states while bowhunting and you'll have to do some "splainin'" to the warden if he/she catches you. Especially a 44 with a scope because that type of rig isn't a self defense rig, that's a hunting rig.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have a question regarding the video Muley posted. Why didn't that guy draw and release an arrow into that bear?
As for carrying a handgun during archery, here in PA its perfectly legal.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I have a question regarding the video Muley posted. Why didn't that guy draw and release an arrow into that bear?
As for carrying a handgun during archery, here in PA its perfectly legal.
It's not legal here.

I think that hunter panicked. Very common when bears charge.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bronko, it was illegal up until 11 or 12 years ago to carry a handgun while hunting archery, and even now, it is only legal if you have a license to carry a handgun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.