Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Colorado's Biggest Bulls

Old 05-18-2017, 08:10 PM
Spike

Default Colorado's Biggest Bulls

I am an information junkie when it comes to mostly fly fishing and some hunting. Many years ago, and I mean many years ago, I called the Division of Wildlife and asked a game warden where, in very general terms, will hunters find the biggest bull elk? Can anyone guess what the answer was?

Hints: It isn't a specific unit and there are exceptions, as always. This is a large geographical area.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

The biggest bulls will be on private land. That's how they got big.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Suburbs of Denver or Rocky Mountain National Park?

Last edited by Rob in VT; 05-19-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:44 PM
Spike

Two good answers and probably accurate. The biologist told me the best bulls probably come out of units that butt up against the continental divide.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Unit 2. Problem is it takes over 20 points to pull the tag.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Just go hang out in Estes Park for a few days, you'll find the big bulls

-Jake
Old 05-20-2017, 08:32 AM
Spike

And speaking of unit two, an acquaintance was building his points for this unit and had amassed about 15 points when he died before hunting the unit.

I am now in Arizona. I had to leave 7 elk preference point behind.

Actually, I still own them and can use them as a non-resident but probably won't. I called Parks and Wildlife to see if they have a wounded warrior program where points can be donated but they do not. I know they have other programs for warriors but I thought this would be a great way to use these points.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Pogybait
And speaking of unit two, an acquaintance was building his points for this unit and had amassed about 15 points when he died
That sucks. I was a CO resident until 2015 and was building points for that unit. I hunted it for years for cows when I could get back. Wanted to hunt a bull there with my father but he passed in 2013. I have 22 points now and it takes about 24 for a non resident to get it. I plan to kill the last bull I will ever take there in memory of my father.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:31 AM
Spike

Flags,

Good show with the memory of your father.

What is the cost of a non-resident CO license but elk?
Old 05-21-2017, 08:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Pogybait
Flags,

Good show with the memory of your father.

What is the cost of a non-resident CO license but elk?
Non-resident bull tag is $644 plus the $10 habitat stamp. It was a lot cheaper to hunt there as a resident but work took me to TX and I'm in the process of earning my 2nd pension. Besides the CO of my youth is gone forever, too many displaced idiots from CA there for my tastes now. I go back to see family and still own a piece of property there but I'll never live there full time again.

You do any javelina hunting in AZ? Always wanted to hunt them but don't have a place in TX to do it. Got a place for deer and hogs but not javelinas.