Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
My Colorado elk app submitted >

My Colorado elk app submitted

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

My Colorado elk app submitted

Old 03-14-2017, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default My Colorado elk app submitted

I submitted my Colorado non-resident elk license application on-line this morning. The deadline is approaching. It isn't TOO close (3 weeks out?) but I had kind of forgotten about this for at least 2 weeks. I would hate to see the deadline slip past and forget about it! I put in for first rifle season GMU 075, my usual. I had no shooting opportunity in 2015. I had ONE shooting opportunity 2017 but passed on the shot from uncertainty of the distance (I'll be taking a new Leopold laser range finder along this fall, if I'm drawn). I'm hoping for a good hunt this year.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck! I will apply for a Deer point and my daughter should draw a Unit 83 deer tag. Will probably wait another 2 weeks before sending in a pile of money.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I will hold out until the last day so they don't hold onto my $$$ any longer than needed. I will see if my 21 points will pull the hybrid tag for unit 2. Since I am now a TX resident I am a few points light on just pulling the normal tag.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a friend a couple of years ago who waited until the last day, and the system crashed and he had to submit a hand written copy by mail by midnight on that day. Hasn't happened in the last few years that I know of, but I always submit mine at least 3 days out just in case. After all, you charge on a credit card, which means they won't get their money for a few days anyway and your bill won't come due till next month.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's exactly why I don't wait for the last day.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:17 PM
car
Typical Buck

I did my Colorado elk point today, also I put in for elk in KY, moose in Maine and NH. Applying for a moose tag in NH is a real long shot this year, only 5 non-res tags. This will probably be the last year I apply until there are more tags available. I have to wait until SD opens up to try to draw a deer tag this year!
Old 03-20-2017, 11:54 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

I was bound and determined to burn my 20 elk points this year. Researched, decided to give up on 61 archery, and had my hunt selected 100% odds. But then got blindsided with an Arizona tag last week. So this changes everything. Prolly just do points for everything but sheep.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Damn, what a shame! Can you transfer the AZ tag to me, so you can go to CO this year??
Old 03-21-2017, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Zim, that's a tough break. Isn't Colorado on the way to Arizona for you?
Old 03-23-2017, 11:16 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Alsatian
I submitted my Colorado non-resident elk license application on-line this morning. The deadline is approaching. It isn't TOO close (3 weeks out?) but I had kind of forgotten about this for at least 2 weeks. I would hate to see the deadline slip past and forget about it! I put in for first rifle season GMU 075, my usual. I had no shooting opportunity in 2015. I had ONE shooting opportunity 2017 but passed on the shot from uncertainty of the distance (I'll be taking a new Leopold laser range finder along this fall, if I'm drawn). I'm hoping for a good hunt this year.

I hunt GMU 075 as a CO resident too, and just put in for a Muzzleloading Elk tag in September. I normally hunt up along Missionary Ridge Road most of the time. Your season will be a few weeks behind mine. Last year was pretty tough with very late snows, the elk stayed high for most of the fall, and not a lot of animals were taken out of there. One guide friend who hunts GMU 77 over near Beaver Meadows only brought out one elk in all 5 seasons. Feedback here is that the deer and elk populations are down to about what they were in the late 60s, although I do not know enough to make a comparison.

I passed on a few deer muzzleloading shots last year due to distance since CO primitive weapons season requires open sights. This year I put in for a 2nd rifle deer tag over along the border with Utah hoping to catch one of those nice mulies coming off BLM land headed for those pinto bean and hay fields just to the east.

Last edited by paveglass; 03-23-2017 at 11:27 AM.