Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Big Game Drawings

Old 12-19-2016, 09:40 AM
Spike

Default Big Game Drawings

Hello everyone,
I am brand new to the website. Just a tad about me, I started hunting last year at 26 years old. I've always loved the outdoors. Well last year I became addicted to hunting like I'm sure most on here. Can't beat the thrill of the hunt or just enjoying the time outside. Anyway, I have been big into white tail hunting. Not to jump the gun but I am very interested in bigger game perferibbly elk or moose. I see that there are some over the counter options yet I see a lot of mixed reviews of late. I also see some drawings options. If you guys can give me any advice on what you think would be best I will greatly appreciate it. Are drawings worth it now? Should I apply knowing I most likely won't get in? Are drawings the way to go? Etc... thank you guys

Happy Hunting,
OhioHunter

"There is no such thing as a bad day hunting"
Old 12-19-2016, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Colorado's deadline is usually beginning of April. You can apply for just preference points instead of a tag that you won't draw. PP usually cost around $45 or so.

Some good OTC units, but trophy areas require PPs. As far as moose, go to Canada or AK. Will take years to draw a lower 48 tag.

Best of luck!
Old 12-19-2016, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome Ohio
Old 12-19-2016, 11:34 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
Colorado's deadline is usually beginning of April. You can apply for just preference points instead of a tag that you won't draw. PP usually cost around $45 or so.

Some good OTC units, but trophy areas require PPs. As far as moose, go to Canada or AK. Will take years to draw a lower 48 tag.

Best of luck!
In your opinion is Colorado the best state for elk?
Old 12-19-2016, 11:36 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by OhioHunter419
...Are drawings worth it now? Should I apply knowing I most likely won't get in? Are drawings the way to go? ...
Welcome aboard Ohio.

Its never too early to put in for drawings, and the more you put in for the better.

In many states you earn or get a preference or bonus point each year that you do not draw a tag. In some of those states, only the people with the most preference points draw a tag.

I basically only put in for the drawings in my home state of Montana. I have the maximum number of bonus points for every species in the drawings. I have applied every year, and I haven't drawn a moose tag since 1988 or a bighorn ram tag since 1983 or a mountain goat tag since 1978.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by buffybr
Welcome aboard Ohio.

Its never too early to put in for drawings, and the more you put in for the better.

In many states you earn or get a preference or bonus point each year that you do not draw a tag. In some of those states, only the people with the most preference points draw a tag.

I basically only put in for the drawings in my home state of Montana. I have the maximum number of bonus points for every species in the drawings. I have applied every year, and I haven't drawn a moose tag since 1988 or a bighorn ram tag since 1983 or a mountain goat tag since 1978.
LOL, I feel your pain. I'm 47 and beginning to think I'm gonna have to go north if I ever want to hunt moose. I would like to enoy a mount for a few years before I soccer style the bucket across the great beyond, lol.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:24 PM
Spike

Default Money talk

Being from Ohio, i have literally 0 knowledge about these drawings. So say I put in for tags in Montana and Colorado and other states.... say I don't get drawn... is that money gone or do you get returns?
Old 12-19-2016, 02:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by OhioHunter419
Being from Ohio, i have literally 0 knowledge about these drawings. So say I put in for tags in Montana and Colorado and other states.... say I don't get drawn... is that money gone or do you get returns?
You have to pay for the point, and every state is different on how they charge you.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

No, far from it. I only mention it because I hunt it every year and am familiar with it. I will say Colorado has some very nice Mule Deer and accumulating preference points there would be a good idea.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:08 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jeepkid
You have to pay for the point, and every state is different on how they charge you.
Each state is different. You have to check the regulations of each state. Like jeepkid posted, there is a fee for the point. There also may be a drawing fee. And some states require you to purchase a basic hunting license (not refundable) before you can apply for special licenses.

@TwoBear, by my math, I have been applying unsuccessfully every year for a mountain goat tag in my home state of Montana since you were 9 years old.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.