Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
nosler partition vs accubond >

nosler partition vs accubond

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

nosler partition vs accubond

Old 11-08-2016, 05:45 AM
Typical Buck

Default nosler partition vs accubond

I think I brought this up before but I'll do it again to get your thoughts on these bullets. I have 3 guns I could shoot them in-7mm mag, 300wm & 338wm. I also have a 270 that I have historically shot 130 core lokts in. Any addvise on the 270?
Old 11-08-2016, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I used handloaded Partitions in my 7mm Mag for more than 20 years but I now shoot Accubonds. I got a little better accuracy out of them. Either one will easily kill anything you want to shoot if you put them in the right place. But I also have to point out that the exact same thing can be said of any modern bullet including the Core-Lokts. Modern bullets are all pretty good it just depends on which one your rifle likes best. My 7mm Mag hates Speer bullets, never could get a really good group with them. Doesn't make sense but it is what it is.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Different bullet profiles, lengths, weight, softness/hardness, base, tip, and jacket thickness (also relative to the softness/hardness), are what makes some rifles like one bullet or another. How they conform to the rifling. Not all rifles are unusually picky, but lord there are some, and I have had my share of them, that just will not shoot anything but ONE bullet worth a tinkers damn. I've had rifles (still have 2 of them) that group worse than a shotgun pattern at 50 yards with one bullet/load but either a seating or bullet change or powder variation and they tighten up to well under an inch at 100!
Old 11-08-2016, 01:10 PM
Typical Buck

Like flags posted, "Either one will easily kill anything you want to shoot if you put them in the right place."

My current hunting bullet for my 7 mm Rem Mag is the 160 grain Accubond. I've easily killed African animals from Duiker up to Black Wildebeest, and North American animals up to Elk with them.

For many years my favorite bullet for my .30 Gibbs (.300 Win Mag velocities) was the 180 grain Partition. Those bullets kept my freezers full of Elk, Moose, and Mtn Goat meat for many years.

Pick the one that is most accurate in your rifle and go hunting without giving it another thought.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd probably go accubond as I'm not a big fan of partitions.

as for the 270 with 130s... check out barnes LRX, or TTSX or accubond...

I feel like most premium bullets nowadays work well under most circumstances, so unless you're doing something specific outside of their design, they should work well.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

My 7 mag likes off the shelf Federal Premium nosler partitions. Gives me 1" at 100 yards year end and year out. Always brought home the elk when I do my job. I tried accubonds but they were not as accurate in my gun, but each gun is different. Also, the last time I was trying to buy ammo, I could not find accubonds, but noslers were available. Leave next Tuesday for Colorado with an elk tag in my pocket and 160 gr nosler partitions for my gun! I have total confidence in the bullet. Here is a very useful website when looking for ammunition or bullets: http://ammoseek.com/ammo/

Last edited by txhunter58; 11-10-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

What's your thoughts on a partition that is designed to fragment, or a bonded bullet? which is more effective ?
Old 12-04-2016, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by the blur
What's your thoughts on a partition that is designed to fragment, or a bonded bullet? which is more effective ?
depends first on expected impact velocity, 2nd on what your rifle likes. beyond around a 3100fps impact velocity the accubond shines less than that and the difference is minimal
RR
Old 12-05-2016, 04:54 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

Keep in mind that killing an elk isn't the same as finding it, even with good hits. For that reason I like to leave as much blood as possible on the ground, which is better with an exit hole, which Partitions do better.

Last year I hit a nice bull three times broadside with 180-grain Accubonds from a .300 WM. All bullets were fatal chest cavity hits, but none exited out the other side. He left almost no blood on the ground, but fortunately I saw him fall because it was open country.
Not sure what would've been the outcome if I'd popped him with round #1 and then he'd run into thick stuff before I could shoot again. Now seriously considering going to Partitions or A-Frames. (Yes, I know that's only one instance....)

Last edited by BTM; 12-05-2016 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BTM
Keep in mind that killing an elk isn't the same as finding it, even with good hits. For that reason I like to leave as much blood as possible on the ground, which is better with an exit hole, which Partitions do better.
Last year I hit a nice bull three times broadside with 180-grain Accubonds. All bullets were fatal chest cavity hits, but none exited out the other side. He left almost no blood on the ground, but fortunately I saw him fall because it was open country.
Not sure what would've been the outcome if I'd popped him with round #1 and then he'd run into thick stuff before I could shoot again. Now seriously considering going to Partitions or A-Frames. (Yes, I know that's only one instance....)
My experience is opposite. The partition fragmented inside, only the base of the partition exited, with a 7mm pencil hole. Not much blood, but less than 50 yards, we found him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.