Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bison Hunt?

Old 12-08-2016, 05:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by patchnball
Thanks Flags and Superhunt54 for proving my point better than I. 70 years 60 million bison....in a straight line chart you make a point. Forgot about reproduction and bison don't live to be 70 years old. First year of your 70 over 10 million bison would have had to been killed by hunters before a declining population ( 60 million...50/50 ratio bulls to cows and 33% birth rate of cows = 10 million calves) So as you can see Disease killed far more than arrows and bullets.......45 million as your number killed would take us to about the third or fourth year in 70.......Simple math and don't believe the liberal history books. By the way Rob in VT my father and brother did a South Dakota bison hunt years ago. The rancher killed bison with a 22 mag. so not a lot needed for take down with proper bullet placement. They were allowed the heads to take home and meat cost so much a pound over and above the HUNT price.
You, Sir, have no idea what you are talking about and the more you type on this thread the more embarrassed you should feel because the facts are out there and they are not as you have posted!
Old 12-08-2016, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

He obviously missed Math and Biology classes in school that's for dang sure. And he obviously ignored American History!! Educating the foolish isn't within my job description tonight.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, this thread took an unexpected turn.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Going back to the OP's post, haven't got a buff yet but it's on the bucket list.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

It's on my list. Just for the experience. I know Bronko2200 has also gone on a buffalo hunt(s?) Maybe he'll chime in when he logs in next.
-Jake
Old 12-11-2016, 05:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
Wow, this thread took an unexpected turn.
Not really unexpected.....
Old 12-11-2016, 05:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
He obviously missed Math and Biology classes in school that's for dang sure. And he obviously ignored American History!! Educating the foolish isn't within my job description tonight.
common core teaching.lol.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Not really unexpected.....
lol. nope . folks will fight about most anything , most any opportunity they get.
I would agree that it was indeed the white man that wiped em out.
I would only add that while it was going on , the native americans were still killing their fair share also.

not implying anything negative in that statement. it just is what it is.
if the native americans , retained the status quo , in regards to buffler pops one can only conclude that adding whiteman to the mix must have contributed.
point is , as most I think, would agree growing human populations on the plains helped the decline.

I am not trying to argue that the whiteman didn't waste an awful lot. however I would add that the "revisionist history " saying native americans used every scrap and wasted nothing is also false. the natives would run entire herds of of cliffs and pack away only what they could carry.
again JUST STATING A FACT.not trying to imply anything negative. it was their way of life and they did what they had to do to survive.

what really happened to the buffler , is what happens to many species when an outside influence is introduced. they were unable to adapt to the added pressure, and they declined.
same can be said of the native americans, and one day, the same will be said of the entire human race.

life goes on but only for those able to adapt.

ONE COULD ALSO ARGUE ,that all that which we call wasted was really not wasted. nature , eventually reclaimed every scrap. again just another truth.

Last edited by kidoggy; 12-11-2016 at 06:20 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
You, Sir, have no idea what you are talking about and the more you type on this thread the more embarrassed you should feel because the facts are out there and they are not as you have posted!
Yeah, TOP, it took me just a few seconds to understand this guy doesn't have a clue. Perhaps they taught a different type of history where he grew up. But hey what do I know? A large part of my family has only lived in bison country for a couple of thousand years.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:55 PM
Spike

I just finished reading (well, I did the audiobook, so I guess "listening") to Steven Rinella's "American Buffalo: In Search of a Lost Icon". It's an AWESOME story about his hunt for a Buffalo near the Copper River in Alaska. Not only does it go into some pretty great detail about his hunt, it also covers the history of buffalo and buffalo hunting. Highly recommend it.

https://www.amazon.com/American-Buff...=rinella+bison

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.