Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

375+ bull elk

Old 10-01-2016, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 375+ bull elk

I'd like to have a good (as best possible) opportunity to hunt a really magnificent bull elk, one that would score 375+. Seems like most outfitters tell me that they take some every year like that but I'm looking for feedback from y'all that have gone w/ an outfitter & have seen/harvested some monsters. Fair chase in the wild, no high fence/game farm kinda stuff. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by coolbrze0; 10-01-2016 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:22 PM
Dominant Buck

IMO long odds on a monster like that and it will certainly be expensive.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
IMO long odds on a monster like that and it will certainly be expensive.
+1

Now, maybe you don't mind long odds that are not in your favor ??

Maybe you just like being out there, because you sure as hell can't shoot'em from your couch.

Do your homework ......................then be humble when you're up there !

Last edited by Sheridan; 10-01-2016 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

The only area I know that you would have a good chance at a bull like that is Unit 2 in Northwest CO. But it will take 25+ preference points for a non-resident so unless you've been stockpile points your odds of getting a tag is somewhere between Slim and None and rumor has it Slim went fishing.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe check out some of the Indian reservations (Utah or AZ), an outfitter on private property or Canada (all free range)? I'm sure you'd have to pay a LOT of money for such a hunt but there are bulls that big somewhere. Maybe some fo the outfitters in the forums can chime in on how you might go about finding such a hunt.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

Most elk hunters will tell you, any elk is a good elk. People live all there lives in elk country and might never see a bull of that class except in Yellowstone or at the refuge in Jackson Hole. If you have ever ate elk, you won't care how big the rack. Like the others have said, you can find them, but bring your pocket book.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:05 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

You can get a bull that size on public in Nevada, Wyoming, Arizona if you get stupid lucky in a draw but even in those places you'd have to know the area well and almost always have to have horses to get way back in.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Arizona lot of good units like 10 or 6a I'm going in November in unit 5a up on the rim bull elk rifle tag I hunt there often and have no doubt there are 350-380 class bulls I've seen there !
Old 10-03-2016, 02:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

side note, an elk outfitter, say takes 30 hunters out a year...

even in an average elk area, someone should/may get lucky and shoot a 375"+

also 30 hunters chasing a known elk that's 375, only 1 of them can actually take that elk.

it's like any monster in an area, sure there might be a monster running around but the average good bull in that area might be 270"-320"

I'd wanna the know the if I have a shot at bull what size to take/wait/pass up, you gonna pass up a 320 to take a 375? really depends on the area etc... but you pay an outfitter/guide to tell you those things I think. Like sure we have some monsters roaming around but are you gonna get a shot in the next 3 days on a bigger bull?

375+ sounds like a high fence operation, or quality private land, $$$ check reservations etc...