Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Keeping ones composure!

Old 08-17-2016, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Keeping ones composure!

http://www.grindtv.com/wildlife/fish...s46ERepAPx5.97 .
Old 08-17-2016, 04:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hard to believe the guide was only carrying a little 9mm pistol for protection up in bear country like that!
Old 08-17-2016, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Hard to believe the guide was only carrying a little 9mm pistol for protection up in bear country like that!
Defies logic from my POV. I guess those 30+ years of safe guiding has suppressed his reasoning. It only takes once. No disrespect, but perhaps he'll consider that if ones needs to carry a gun in the first place, the tool should be more appropriate for the job if required. Great shooting and composure, none the less. If there is a next time, the situation may not allow that many shots.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the comments

"Always use caution in bear country. Carry pepper spray and bells to warn bears of your approach. Watch for bear feces...they smell like pepper and have little bells in them."

"used to carry a 44 mag. when fishing up there. all but one for the bear. if they didn't stop it the last was for me. if you have ever seen a grizz kill you know what I'm saying."

"But did they catch any trout?"
Old 08-18-2016, 07:07 AM
Spike

We have this discussion up here a lot. Many will say a 9mm isn't enough. In this case it clearly was.

I'll pose a question to you. Would it be better that he carried a 454 or .44 with only six rounds and landed roughly the same percentage of shots roughly 50% (or probably even less since those hand cannons have such high recoil), or carry the gun you are comfortable with and know that you can land the highest percentage of shots possible.

While the 9mm doesn't have the same ft lb impact force a larger caliber does the travel at a pretty good rate of speed and an FMJ bullet will likely have deep penetration.

I personally carry a 10mm and don't have any concern over its stopping ability. I can drop all 15 rds in that thing into a 6 in ring at 15 yds. Can't say the same for a heavy high recoil barrel gun.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Try putting all the rounds into a 6 inch ring when it is charging at you with intent to do mayhem and your heart is beating like a triphammer! A 9mm is better than nothing at all but I will take a larger heavier round every time if I have a Choice. If you are carrying a gun for protection from bears you should practice on a target that is moving towards you at a fast speed. You can get good with a heavy caliber gun if you practice as you expect the gun may have to be used. Being able to put 15 rounds into a target at 15 yards is not all that impressive when the target is simply a piece of paper not moving, in fact, putting 15 rounds in a 6 inch circle really is not all that impressive.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by AKbouhunter
We have this discussion up here a lot. Many will say a 9mm isn't enough. In this case it clearly was.

I'll pose a question to you. Would it be better that he carried a 454 or .44 with only six rounds and landed roughly the same percentage of shots roughly 50% (or probably even less since those hand cannons have such high recoil), or carry the gun you are comfortable with and know that you can land the highest percentage of shots possible.

While the 9mm doesn't have the same ft lb impact force a larger caliber does the travel at a pretty good rate of speed and an FMJ bullet will likely have deep penetration.

I personally carry a 10mm and don't have any concern over its stopping ability. I can drop all 15 rds in that thing into a 6 in ring at 15 yds. Can't say the same for a heavy high recoil barrel gun.
The mere fact that this question continues in your home state is clear proof the issue will not be settled here.
The simple answer is that a person should take as much firepower as they can reasonably handle and direct. Lets look a little closer and consider some things: each time a guide takes clients out they face a hypothetical situation: Will there be an encounter, what is the likely situation and how could it unfold?
Looking deeper, it has been expressed that the gun and load worked, this time. What about next time? The article states the guide is capable of using an .357 and .44 Mag-likely proficiently.
Since he is familiar and capable w/such loads, isn't that the practical choice when one considers potential outcomes.?
Since you use a 10mm, you have voted lesser faith in the 9mm's ability. Would you trust a guide w/your life and that of a loved one in a similar situation? Why tempt fate? The article doesn't state the size of the bear but doesn't give any indication it was a mature boar. Next time could be much different with a larger animal and the extra power from a larger load would pay dividends. Life is important enough for one to use that giving them the best advantage for survival.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 08-18-2016 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Game Stalker
The mere fact that this question continues in your home state is clear proof the issue will not be settled here.
The simple answer is that a person should take as much firepower as they can reasonably handle and direct. Lets look a little closer and consider some things: each time a guide takes clients out they face a hypothetical situation: Will there be an encounter, what is the likely situation and how could it unfold?
Looking deeper, it has been expressed that the gun and load worked, this time. What about next time? The article states the guide is capable of using an .357 and .44 Mag-likely proficiently.
Since he is familiar and capable w/such loads, isn't that the practical choice when one considers potential outcomes.?
Since you use a 10mm, you have voted lesser faith in the 9mm's ability. Would you trust a guide w/your life and that of a loved one in a similar situation? Why tempt fate? The article doesn't state the size of the bear but doesn't give any indication it was a mature boar. Next time could be much different with a larger animal and the extra power from a larger load would pay dividends. Life is important enough for one to use that giving them the best advantage for survival.
Not sure why the discrepency, but just to make sure I am not missing anything for this discussion. The article I am looking at never mentions anything other then the 9mm. No mention of .357 or .44, and the article I am looking at does say large male bear.

Nevermind, I wont edit the part above but more information which you alluded to is in the linked story within this linked story, not the grindtv one. My bad.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:26 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Game Stalker
I know the size of the bear. It was around 9ft. I carry a 10 because its slightly larger than the 9, carries the same capacity and is just a manageable. It has been proven to work over and over. Everyone has there preference and I don't think any one answer is right. Use what your most proficient with in a decent size caliber. I think 9mm would be the absolute smallest I would carry obviously. But for the majority of Alaskans the 10mm is taking off rapidly and it is a much more manageable gun to pack than those bulky heavy wheel guns. If a 9mm dropped a bear and that is what my guide was carrying I wouldn't mind at all.

As far as considering an encounter I spend probably as many days afield as some of these master guides. I hunt fish and hike 3 days a week starting in April and stopping generally in November. I have run into 1 bear that didn't go running for the hills when I came across him. He didn't posture or pose a threat so we parted ways and both lived. Im pretty confident that my chance of a dangerous encounter are less than 1% on a daily basis. Im still gonna prepare and be ready and alert but I also realize its more than likely not going to happen. This guy even admits this is the first one in what, 1 or 2 decades that they had to dispatch? Thats pretty low odds.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

First hand experience is always good to hear and consider. Bringing together people with different species experience and hunting requirements is one of the things which make this site interesting. 9 ft. would be a lot of bear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.