Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

MULE DEER HUNTING

Old 10-21-2003, 07:16 AM

Default MULE DEER HUNTING

I need some advice on mule deer hunting. I live in the south east and want to book a mule deer hunt nest year. What is the best state to hunt mullies in and does anyone know a good guide. All coment are appreciated. Thank and good huntn, lost on this subject.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: MULE DEER HUNTING

Some of the best that I have read are,Colorado,Utah,Arizona and Wyoming.I' ve seen some pic' s of big bucks from Oregon and Idaho.
As for a guide I would shop around,I don' t hunt with an outfitter.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:43 AM

Well, where to start? I consider muley to be my specialty,but most of my learnings have come from yr.of trial and error.
Mulies have the abilityto hide behind basketball sized shrub and become totally invisible.When you think you' re done glassing an area, glass it one more time. Always,always ,always look back,they' ll wait you out,till you decide to leave and then casually get up and walk away themselves.
Prefered escape route is almost always up,they prefer to gain altitude rather than lose it when having to leave an area.
Most muley will give you the last look just before cresting the hill,almost no big bucks will do this, be ready for a moving shot, not running ,but moving.
There is sooooo much more but it would take me hours and I' ve got to leave for work. These are just a few tips to think about,I' ll be back with more.[8D]
Old 10-23-2003, 01:25 PM
Typical Buck

Take a look at this website...it' ll give you a good idea of where the big boy' s are.
http://www.kingsoutdoorworld.com/
Good luck! JDinAB
Old 10-23-2003, 03:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am the luckiest Mule Deer Hunter alive find a nice buck everytime I go Elk hunting...I would be jinxed if I ever went on a strictly mule deer trip. Top States would be Utah, Nevada,Colorado,Wyoming,Montana, Arizona, Idaho,New Mexico, Mexico and the canadian provinces and there would be plenty of competent outfitters you could find in those areas... Most good public areas are draw only and some states have pretty good drawing odds if you go with an outfitter otherwise you' ll be a little older when you finally do draw if you decide to go on your own. If you want an immediate hunt the price of course escalates and its bordering on if not ridiculous right now. I have hunted Montana,Wyoming and Colorado and of the three the biggest bucks and best hunting were in Wyoming and Colorado...