Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear Baiting Questions

Old 03-31-2016, 08:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Here they use barrels as well. Some will pop a lot of popcorn and mix molasses in it. For the barrel they will start cutting back on the amount in the barrel after the bears start coming into it regularly. This is to try an encourage them to come in during daylight hours. What they are trying to do is get the bears to think another bear is showing and getting some of the bait before they get to it. Sometimes it will work and sometimes it won't. Bears are bears and a site can go dry in a moments notice if natural food is around or someone else set up nearby.. Either way there has been some great advice for you on here.. So good luck..

Here is one guy's photo of bait he got cheap at a Wal-Mart store in Vermont now that Easter is over with.. Just stay away from Chocolate as it has been known to kill bears..

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/memb...-bear-bait.jpg

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 04-06-2016 at 04:09 AM.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:36 PM
Spike

Bears live by their nose. They can smell for miles. That said, bait is important, but so is the scent trail you put out. I augment the smell that comes off my bait with a stink bucket. It costs nearly nothing, but can really add value to the stink you are putting out. There is some pics and a brief description in this video -
. Additionally, this year I "fermented" a whole moose hide in a bucket of water for 8 months (granted during the winter it froze) and hung it 30 feet up in a tree above my bait site. Talking about stink - wow! A brown bear did manage to climb the tree and rip it down, but it sure got things going. Some interesting footage of bears at this site can be found at -

Last edited by Raised in Alaska; 06-27-2016 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 06-30-2016, 12:15 AM
Spike

Not sure if it would help, but when I have put out deer lure such as urine products early (late summer), I have drawn in bears. This may help to get them started on your bait pile. The sticky stuff suggestion made earlier sounds like a great idea.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 07-01-2016 at 01:30 PM. Reason: no advertising in sig line
Old 06-30-2016, 05:27 AM
Typical Buck

years ago I had a buddy that worked receiving for a grocery store---he ran a fork lift fork through a pallet of dried beans---store could not sell the beans so he was giving a way bags of dried beans I added farm molasses and let sit a day or 2 o m g bears loved it should have seen the piles of poop in the woods---I also liberally douse everything at the site with anise oil great cover scent also do no pour on yourself or you may garner a buddy yourself
Old 07-01-2016, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hatfield Hunter
years ago I had a buddy that worked receiving for a grocery store---he ran a fork lift fork through a pallet of dried beans---store could not sell the beans so he was giving a way bags of dried beans I added farm molasses and let sit a day or 2 o m g bears loved it should have seen the piles of poop in the woods---I also liberally douse everything at the site with anise oil great cover scent also do no pour on yourself or you may garner a buddy yourself
Ya when there hungry they'll eat anything, but on a yearly bases of bear baiting i've found that when other guys/hunters are out baiting during the hunt it takes a bit more ambition, thus my original post!
Old 08-15-2016, 02:39 PM
Spike

You need to make sure you are baiting near good cover and a water source. A small stream near by that runs between some hills is a good start. Find which way the prevailing wind blows and setup so that your scent blows towards the stream and the water carries it away. Even better set the bait across the water and shoot from the other side. Bears drink a great deal water.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:29 PM
Typical Buck

When it was legal here in Colorado we used dead cows that had died in transit and poured molasses over them, worked like a charm. I hear Anise oil is good also.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:27 AM
Spike

Default Bear baiting

I have a question for those with a lot of baiting experience. I drew a tag for WI zone c. I'm limited on time and funds. Will baiting twice a week on the same days be enough consistency to pattern/groom a bear. I'm only on a 40 acre parcel and am the only bait for a mile or two. Baiting on tuesdays and fridays for hunting on Wednesdays and saturdays seem like a legit plan? I know my cameras will tell me a lot as well.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Swampfoot
I have a question for those with a lot of baiting experience. I drew a tag for WI zone c. I'm limited on time and funds. Will baiting twice a week on the same days be enough consistency to pattern/groom a bear. I'm only on a 40 acre parcel and am the only bait for a mile or two. Baiting on tuesdays and fridays for hunting on Wednesdays and saturdays seem like a legit plan? I know my cameras will tell me a lot as well.
Congratulations on your tag. Your schedule should workout fine. The problem I see is you have a serious limiting factor when you only run one bait especially if it's an area not often visited by bears. I'd recommend at least two and better three active baits before the season starts. If you have access to large pieces of public land look for areas with thick cover, water, and food. berries at this time of year and maybe acorns later. If it's more ag land around you. Ask around and see who is seeing bears and try to work something out with them. Once you are out and about there is no mistaking the trails the bears are using.

Good luck!
Old 08-10-2018, 04:52 PM
Typical Buck

Last time in baited once a week. But UP doesn't limit quanity. I have heard WI limits quanities to 2 pales. Which isn't great. But what choice do you got? I have not read the manual, so I don't know.

BS in WI you have to filter fryer grease for meat, since it is such a small amount.Because a sent on the dirt might help. Also brings new bears back, when they follow a bears track back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.