Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Moose hunting

Old 06-20-2015, 06:30 PM
Spike

Default Moose hunting

I was wondering what you guys thought of hunting moose when one of the hunters don't care to fly long distances.

We went "cheap" before and we got what we paid for. about 25 years ago 4 of us went in on a moose hunt we drove into. In Ontario the residents get 2 days before non residents get to hunt and we were on the 2nd week,

REAL BAD NEWS

Now I was wondering where a group of 4 from Michigan might be able to cut the odds down on getting a moose or maybe 2?

Ontario? Quebec? NH and Maine---I don't think the odds would favor us in drawing permits. NL is a ways to drive.

Any suggestions or guides-----and we really still can't afford that much-but you get what you pay for also.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the forum pyrohobie. Thats a tall order to fill, living in Michigan, your right on about your odds in NH or Maine. Have you looked into Newfoundland?
Old 06-21-2015, 05:27 AM
Fork Horn

Here's what I would do. In Maine a non-resident can buy as many chances in the lottery as they want to. If each of you buy 200
chances which would cost you 1,100 each. At least 1 and maybe 2
of you should draw tags. Good luck.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

In Ontario, a fly in camp is probably your best bet to stay clear of locals.

The other place which you mentioned is Newfoundland. I have been there 3 times and have driven each time. For me in Vermont, it's a day's drive to North Sydney Nova Scotia to catch the ferry. An over night ferry ride (we get a room to sleep), then drive to your location in the morning. From Michigan it's probably another day's drive. The advantage is that NF has one of the highest moose densities in the world.

The cost of a guided moose hunt is proportional to the antler size. The further west you go, the higher the price tag with Alaskan Yukon moose being $18k-$20k. Newfoundland is the other extreme running $4k-$6k for a decent hunt.

Good luck on what ever you decided to do!
Old 06-21-2015, 06:27 PM
Spike

It's about a 36 hour drive to Sidney NS. We had a plant manager go last year and they had 4 and took a motor home and a trailer and filled up.

Quebec is closer and thinking about flying in in Ontario.

Any suggestions about Quebec? I went up Caribou hunting and was wondering if anyone had any dealing with any of the guides or outfitters in Quebec.

Still a little gun shy with Ontario-who knows if a resident has a cabin you will fly into.

Any comments on giving a bush pilot in flying us into a decent spot-Alaska is different than Ontario.

I just wished 1 of the guys wouldn't have a issue about flying. Know a bunch of people in Alaska.

Thanks again guys
Old 06-21-2015, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure where in Michigan you are, but I just did Google Maps from Traverse City to North Sydney and it said 25 hours. Maybe that still too far to drive for you, but I think worth considering with the high moose population in NF.

You didn't say what type of moose you would be happy with (cow, any bull, certain size bull)?

Personally, I would stay away from Quebec. Their track record with outfitters and caribou hunters is terrible. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

My friend and I drove to Newfoundland last October and we each got bulls. Not monsters but bulls none the less. Maybe we were lucky but I don't think so. The other fellow in camp missed an opportunity on a nice bull and ended up shooting a cow on the last day for the meat. Which by the way is excellent.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:36 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
Not sure where in Michigan you are, but I just did Google Maps from Traverse City to North Sydney and it said 25 hours. Maybe that still too far to drive for you, but I think worth considering with the high moose population in NF.

You didn't say what type of moose you would be happy with (cow, any bull, certain size bull)?

Personally, I would stay away from Quebec. Their track record with outfitters and caribou hunters is terrible. Just my 2 cents.
I did checked it out also- your right, were by Ludington.

For me- I really don't care, but I have to check with the other 3

Thanks again