Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
trying to hunt bighorn sheep >

trying to hunt bighorn sheep

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

trying to hunt bighorn sheep

Old 02-13-2015, 06:53 AM
Spike

Smile trying to hunt bighorn sheep

Im trying to hunt bighorn sheep in lower 48. Ive quickly found out it is going to be hard to get a tag. I started buying pp in AZ and UT. considering applying also in NM and ID. wondering where my best odds of being able to hunt sheep before I die. (without unloading my acct in AK, Canada, or Mexico)
Old 02-13-2015, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good luck. I drew a bighorn tag in CO in 1986 and have been trying to get another one ever since. Not been lucky twice. All I can say is if you really want a tag put in for every state that issues them. Or, you could do one of the unlimited hunts in MT, but those sheep are usually killed by locals that watch them all year long.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good luck, as with the few tags issued and the thousands ahead of you with lots of PPs, the chances are slim to none for sheep anywhere in the lower 48.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:11 AM
Typical Buck

Like flags, I drew a MT bighorn ram tag in 1983 and have been applying every year since. Even with the maximum number of "bonus points" I'm going on 32 years without drawing a tag.

However, I guess I'm one of the locals that flags mentioned as I did kill a few rams in the Montana unlimited permit areas back when we could buy an unlimited tag if we didn't draw a limited entry tag. Now, the unlimited unit tags have to be your first choice in the draw, FWP has cut back the length of the seasons from 3 months to 5 days, closed a number of the units, and the last time that I hunted in one of those units there were more people than sheep.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I forget if it's OR or WA that doesn't have a pref pt for sheep, ie, everyone has the same odds...

how old are you? dare I say try drawing one in MT? I'd focus on any of the non top 2/3 units in MT... and possibly some of the units with the most tag #'s.