Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Newfoundland Moose Outfitter Recommendations? >

Newfoundland Moose Outfitter Recommendations?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Newfoundland Moose Outfitter Recommendations?

Old 01-09-2015, 04:26 AM
Spike

Default Newfoundland Moose Outfitter Recommendations?

I'm planning a Newfoundland moose hunt for the fall of 2016. I've been doing alot of reserch and am very interested in the following outfitters: Mayflower Outfitters, Northern Lights Adventures, Red Indian Lake Outfitters, and Snowshoe Lake Hunting and Fishing. If anyone could give me any insight/experiences with any of the above outfitters, I'd greatly appreciate it. Feel free to make any other recommendations as well. Feel fee to PM me. Thanks

Last edited by PABuckChaser; 01-09-2015 at 04:29 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Snowshoe Lake

I have hunted with Snowshoe Lake in 2001, 2003, and 2004 all for Woodland caribou. We were 100% tagging out each time I went.

Ron Hicks runs the place. It is a small family run operation. Camp is very comfortable but not fancy. Food was fantastic and accommodations good.

I am looking to do a moose hunt in a few years with my daughter. I spoke to Ron about it a couple of weeks ago. They are about 90% success overall and 100% last year. Average bull taken is 36" wide, with about 15% of the Bulls over 40". Average sightings are 5-10 moose in a 5 day hunt. They run an average of 35 hunters through camp each year. This is a drive to camp, not fly in. Still it is pretty remote. Camp is located south of the town of Millertown which is in the center of the island.

That's about all I have. Good luck on your adventure!
Old 01-13-2015, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I forgot to add that they are very honest and hardworking for you. Animals are removed from the field with Argos and they have a large box trailer to hang the meat in until it is taken to the processor in town. Bear are plentiful as well.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:28 AM
Spike

I agree with rob on everything he said about Snowshoe lake, I have hunted moose with John and Ron three times and got my bull moose each time. They will do whatever it takes to make your trip enjoyable and hopefully successful. Also Birney is a great cook and alot of fun to be around. You will not be staying in a big fancy lodge but the camp is clean, comfortable and hot showers. This is a drive in camp, so your are not depending on the weather to get into and out of camp, which is important if you are using the ferry.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ramtuff, I'm curious what years you were there? What was the spread on your 3 bulls? Would love to see some pictures if you can post them.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:29 PM
Spike

We hunted there in 95,97 and 2002 was the last time. Pictures are a little beyond me. The first bull I shot was the first one I saw a small bull by moose standards, the second trip the weather wasn't very good and the moose were hard to locate,we were a little early for the rut and again I shot the first bull I saw, another small bull. The last trip I held out and got a nice 38" bull which isn't a trophy but a nice Newfoundland bull.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:12 PM
Fork Horn

Being that it's on a remote island, how do you transport all your gear up there, and meat back home ?
Old 01-21-2015, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

The times I went I drove. Took the ferry from Nova Scotia to Newfoundland. Your other option is to fly there.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:56 AM
Fork Horn

How much of a hassle is it to cross the boarder with Rifle & Moose meat ?
Old 01-23-2015, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by the blur
How much of a hassle is it to cross the boarder with Rifle & Moose meat ?
Depends. If you have a criminal record it's impossible to enter Canada. This can mean a Drunk Driving from way back when. If your paper work is in order on the return it's a piece of cake.

ATB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.