Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Colorado Area 61 Elk

Old 11-18-2014, 06:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
That list for points can be misleading sometimes. All it means is some hunters got the tag for that many points. Actually, it only takes one hunter to get it. What it doesn't tell you is 50 hunters failed to get the tag with that many points.

It's always better to talk to a hunt planner to see the exact figures.
Actually you can also go to the recaps and it will tell you exactly how many people with how many points applied and where the cutoff was. As you note, it isn't exact but it is pretty accurate. The problem is if it says it takes 20 points to draw and next year 3 or 4 people with 22 points put in, that will skew the data. Not even a hunt planner can always factor that it. Sometimes the numbers get skewed because someone cashes in a larger number of points they have been saving.

That is exactly what happened to me in Unit 2 this year. It normally takes 19 points to draw but there were 6 guys having more than 24 points that put it which immediately increased the minimum number of points to 20. Some people with 19 points drew but others like myself didn't. But there is always next year and I have 20 points now. When they only issue 24 tags, factoring the 6 guys that cashed in big numbers of points is going to have an affect. But I don't blame them, if I had the points I'd cash them in to.

For a non-resident with 20 points, they have a good chance of getting the Y code hunt in unit 1 (a very good trophy area) since the official number required is 18. 20 would pad it enough to be almost certain.

Last edited by flags; 11-19-2014 at 05:07 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

The only guarantee would be if the tag was successful down to the 3rd pick the previous year. I've never failed to get those tags, but normally it's just a crap shoot.