Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Elk Hunting Colorado in unit 55 54 551 >

Elk Hunting Colorado in unit 55 54 551

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Hunting Colorado in unit 55 54 551

Old 08-25-2014, 03:11 PM
Spike

Default Elk Hunting Colorado in unit 55 54 551

Going out to 55 54 551 need some guidence 3rd rifle season. Can anyone give me any pointers or heads up. I know its going to be cold and the elevation is high. Im used to the mountains hiking most the year firefighting. Just anything will help and pleae be honest if its ****ty and you think i should choose a different unit please tell me thank you
Old 08-25-2014, 04:05 PM
Spike

http://diyhuntingmaps.com/unit/co/elk/55/index.html

21% success rate. 88% public lands. It's better than the unit I'll be in (15).

Dress for the cold. Look for low elevation areas in the unit if there's snow on the ground? Never hunted there myself. This is my 1st season also.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Your biggest problem will be the other hunters. This is an OTC unit, and will be very crowded.

The weather will dictate where the elk will be. Look at migration routes if the weather is moving them. This can be found on the DOW web site on the Atlas maps.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:08 PM
Spike

I was told that this unit has alot of private land in the lower units? Is there preferabilty per the 3 units that anoyone knows. Fire roads places to camp any insite will be apprechiated.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:26 PM
Spike

Lower Elevation
Old 08-26-2014, 08:29 PM
Spike

I would try and stay high as you can. I have been there in 3rd before in 3 foot of snow in the dark timber and beds everywhere melted in the snow. Some elk move without much weather, while others stay up there until it hits their bellies or when the pressure subsides. If you hunt high you will not have much company.Yes, it will be a tougher hunt if you get weather, but the elk do not really care about us. The elk I found were on the East facing slope in the dark timber. There were about 45 of them. They could just jump to the West side and graze the wind swept grass and then back to the timber. Elevation was around 10,200. My camp was at 9500. Best of luck.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:45 AM
Spike

I was thinking west of Gunnison around rainbow lake any suggestions ?