Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bucket list Bear hunt

Old 08-06-2014, 01:26 AM
Spike

Default Bucket list Bear hunt

This no doubt this has been asked and answered. My son and I are planning a bear hunt in Maine. I'm looking for suggestions for an outfitter, or anything else. I'm a long time hunter, and outdoorsman.
Thanks in Advance Sawbones01
Old 08-06-2014, 04:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

What part of the state, over bait or with hounds? Bear hunting up here is currently under attack by HSUS and company so it could turn out to being the last year of it as the push has been hard..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 08-12-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:45 AM
Spike

Thanks, the specifics have yet to be determined about exactly where, but it is over bait. Ive been looking at foggy mountain and matagamon wilderness. Maybe I should look at Idaho.
Gotta love the HSUS
Old 08-06-2014, 12:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

It is to early to tell what exactly is going to happen until after the vote in November it is anyone's game right now.. But, it is looking up for us up here.. i will post a link with an update in just a minute..
Old 08-06-2014, 03:58 PM
Spike

thanks again I will keep an eye on things
Old 08-09-2014, 05:57 AM
Spike

I am headed to Ross Lake Camps. I'll post a review in a few weeks. My excitement is off the charts right now.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:09 AM
Fork Horn

There's a place called patten lodge or Patton,
Baited bear hunts are right around 1000 bucks
I've researched the subject a lot
If your son is an adult I would suggest hunting NMW
You can get a permit to place bait on public land and NMW
If it were me I'd be up in NMW with my bow
Old 08-11-2014, 01:44 PM
Spike

Thanks for the info due to the HSUS and their referendum on bear hunting in Maine we are also looking into hunts in Idaho. Have not given up on Maine but want a backup plan, will also check out the other suggestions. This will be my first bear hunt and I'm stoked.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am thinking we will win this battle even though it appears to be a case of going either way.. There is a lot of hunters in Maine and HSUS is mostly pushing the Portland area.. They had their Predsident in trying to help them get the votes. The news station there had put them on the local tv.. They are now being blasted with calls asking why they did not show up at the Banquet and appears to be trying to favor HSUS.. I do not think they like the attention they are now getting.. The banquet was sold out with 1000 plus tickets and everyone is upset with the news station as this had happened after the Banquet.. The environmental groups has even suggested to remove the bear baits if they come across them.. This has been reported to the Warden Service as a threat by some of them which even endorsed it.. I would not worry to much as most would not dare to step in the woods up here any ways..

I hope you have an enjoyable hunt as well as success on getting your bear..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 08-12-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Doesn't one of the Carolina's have some of the largest black bears around? at least big heads...ie high B&C scores?

If you're out east and considering ID, might as well consider Canada at that point...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.