Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

CO Leftover Licenses

Old 08-05-2014, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default CO Leftover Licenses

In case anyone is interested, CO began issuing leftover big game tags this morning @ 0900 mountain time. However, they immediately had a system wide crash and the entire thing is shut down until they can figure out what the problem is. Additionally, they have a 1-800 number in case the online data base is having issues but the number is no good and you don't even get a dial tone.

I called a warden buddy of mine to find out WTF and he says even the guys that have been waiting in line to buy them in person are out of luck since the data base covers those as well. The only advice he had was to keep checking the site.

I find it incredible that a state like CO that issues leftover tags every season and has been fully aware what the historical demand is could blow this so badly. I can see a data base crashing but there is no excuse for a 1-800 number to not even have a dial tone! I blame the Nargals.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

S H I T happens! Wyoming had a couple of big snafus this year in the drawings, as you only get out of the computer what the humans put in! In all fairness to them, that was the first time folks could remember any screwups, so most of the time people do their jobs pretty good.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, but the tag I'm trying to get only has 15 of them available. That means they will go fast and without knowing when the system will be up will make it hard to get one. Sad thing is, I have a buddy that has 10,000 acres in Eastern CO right where the tag is good for.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

When stuff like that happens they should stop the entire proceedings, correct the problem, start from square one, along with giving everyone a fair amount of time with a new startup date and time! That is especially important when there are just a few tags available for a unit like you're trying to get. Hope it works out for you with that ranch available!
Old 08-05-2014, 11:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

They should have, but they didn't. Some guys are getting the tags now.

Sometimes the DOW act like the three stooges.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I finally got on the site and got the tag I wanted. There were 2 left when I applied so it was close. This is kind of an unusual tag for CO. It is called a "hunt specific" and is valid from Oct 01 until Dec 31 and only for whitetail does. I can hunt in any of the seasons for the unit (102) as long as I use the right weapon. There are a muzzleloader season, an archery season and 2 different rifle season in that time period.

I like that type of tag because I can hunt when I want and am not tied to a 5 day window like many CO deer hunters are. Having access to a big chunk of private land in the unit helps too. This is the same ranch I took a Rio Grande gobbler on in May.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

It was down for 3 hours. I got my bear tag after it came back up.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe they hired the same gang of idiots who developed obamacare?
Old 08-13-2014, 10:37 AM
Fork Horn

I have lived here for 13 years and never knew about the great deal leftover tags are. I just assumed that if I didn't draw in the area I wanted, I was hosed. Someone cued me to look at the list, and this morning I bought leftover tags for cow elk in unit 12, and doe antelope in 110, 3rd rifle and muzzleloader, respectively.

Funny. Those are exactly what I wanted to begin with, except for deer. There was nothing left for deer that I wanted, but 2 out of 3 ain't bad!
Old 08-13-2014, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was talking to the Iowa DNR people one day and said something about missing the deadline for nonresident drawings for a friend of mine. They told me that there are usually a few deer and turkey tags left that people don't pay for by the deadline and others can call in and buy them. They also told me that whenever deer tags are left over, they usually go within seconds of them becoming available, but turkey tags often fail to sell to the quota limit.