Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Why so many bot posts?

Old 06-12-2014, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Why so many bot posts?

Seems like we have a lot of spam/bot posts. Need to update the websites protections?
Old 06-12-2014, 11:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

how dare you
Old 06-13-2014, 03:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by txhunter58
Seems like we have a lot of spam/bot posts. Need to update the websites protections?
***Yep, and I just hit the alert button on one that made 62 posts on different threads within the first 40 minutes after he registered this AM! That may be a record!!!
Old 06-13-2014, 06:24 AM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up bot/spam

3006, I e-mailed the moderators about this last month, Nothing was done. I can't stand these #%it Heads that do this. They wast the forums time, Let's revamp the forum to get rid of this garbage .
Old 06-13-2014, 06:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

This is not the only hunting forum being hit hard by bots. I don't understand the people behind the bots? What do they hope to gain?
Old 06-13-2014, 07:33 AM
Typical Buck

Really cheap advertising, I suppose, so even if they only get a small response, it must be worth it to them.

I don't know that, practically speaking, there's much a forum can do to get rid of it, except delete it after it appears.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
***Yep, and I just hit the alert button on one that made 62 posts on different threads within the first 40 minutes after he registered this AM! That may be a record!!!
TG, your post didn't come through in the mod email. Can you send me a link if it's still there? thanks.

As for the spam, it's a pain in the you know what. Mods spend a lot of time deleting it. How to prevent it is something on the admin level (they run the server, etc.). I know they'd like to prevent it but don't know that they can. Mods have also complained about all of the spam to admin but I don't know that they can prevent it with the software we have.

Cal
Old 06-13-2014, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

The spam is pretty hard to get rid of. No matter what site they target, you block them, and they change IP address and it starts all over again.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Cal---Someone took care of that 62 post jokester very quickly after I sent in that alert. I also don't see how you can prevent this Spam from being posted, but it would be nice if the first person that reads it hits the Alert button and notifies the Mods so they can deep six them ASAP. It's simple to look and see if there have been any views and the more there are before they get deleted means they will probably keep coming back under another IP as was mentioned. I go through the entire site the first time I come on in the morning and always hit the Alert button on a bunch of them because most of the time these yahoos post during the middle of the night.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

I've noticed the same thing. It's almost like somebody is bored at night with nothing else to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.